Welcome to Matheson
Headquartered in Dublin with offices in London, New York, Palo Alto and San Francisco, more than 650 people work across Matheson’s five offices, including 85 partners and tax principals and over 350 legal and tax professionals. Matheson concentrates on serving the Irish legal needs of internationally focused companies and financial institutions doing business in and from Ireland. Matheson’s clients include the majority of the Fortune 100 companies and over half of the world’s 50 largest banks. Matheson has worked closely with some of the world’s largest tech multinationals and high-profile start-ups advising 7 of the top 10 global technology brands.
Our strength in depth is spread across more than 20 distinct practice areas, including asset management and investment funds, aviation and asset finance, banking and financial services, commercial litigation and dispute resolution, corporate, healthcare, insolvency and corporate restructuring, insurance, intellectual property, international business, structured finance and tax. This broad spread of expertise and legal know-how allows us to provide best-in-class advice to clients on all facets of the law.
We are committed to having a strong presence where our clients are located. We were the first European law firm to establish a presence in Silicon Valley (in 1996), and together with our offices in New York and San Francisco we are proud to have the market-leading Irish presence in the US. Our overseas offices confirm both our commitment to client service and our desire to be genuinely responsive to the needs of our clients wherever they are located.
Our success has been built on the implementation of a clear client-focused strategy, a commitment to excellence and the calibre of our people. Our core values of talent, results, excellence, client focus and teamwork influence everything that we do, and push us to achieve the highest standards as legal professionals and advisers to our clients. Our dedication to client service and excellence has become our hallmark as a firm, and is acknowledged by both our clients themselves and the world’s leading legal directories and publications.
Awards and Endorsements
- Matheson was named Ireland’s Legal Adviser of the Year in the Mergermarket European M&A Awards 2017.
- Matheson was ranked Ireland’s Most Innovative Law Firm in the 2017 Financial Times Innovative Lawyers Awards. In addition, the firm was ranked in the FT’s Top 20 Most Innovative Law Firms in Europe. Further accolades received by Matheson in the FT’s 2017 awards for legal innovation are:
- Top 10 Most Innovative Law Firm in Europe for Dispute Resolution
- Top 10 Most Innovative Law Firm in Europe for Collaboration
- Top 10 Most Innovative Law Firm in Europe for New Legal Products and Services
- Most Innovative Irish Law Firm for Strategy and Changing Behaviours
- Most Innovative Irish Law Firm for Collaboration
- Matheson won seven Finance Dublin Deals of the Year 2017 relating to M&A, Equity Capital Markets, Loans and Financing and International Financial Services.
- Matheson was named International Firm in the Americas by International Tax Review 2017 and also won European Financial Services Tax Deal of the Year.
- Matheson was named UCITS Law Firm of the Year by the Hedge Fund Journal 2017
- Matheson won ILO Client Choice Awards in the categories of Corporate, Banking and IT and Internet Law in Ireland.