Welcome to Matheson
Matheson’s primary focus is on serving the Irish legal needs of internationally focused companies and financial institutions doing business in and from Ireland. Our clients include the majority of the Fortune 100 companies. We also advise 7 of the top 10 global technology brands and over half of the world’s 50 largest banks. We are headquartered in Dublin and also have offices in London, New York and Palo Alto. More than 600 people work across our four offices, including 80 partners and tax principals and over 350 legal and tax professionals.
Our strength in depth is spread across more than 20 distinct practice areas, including asset management and investment funds, aviation and asset finance, banking and financial services, commercial litigation and dispute resolution, corporate, healthcare, insolvency and corporate restructuring, insurance, intellectual property, international business, structured finance and tax. This broad spread of expertise and legal know-how allows us to provide best-in-class advice to clients on all facets of the law.
We are committed to having a strong presence where our clients are located. We were the first European law firm to establish a presence in Silicon Valley (in 1996), and together with our office in New York, we are proud to have the market-leading Irish presence in the US. Our overseas offices confirm both our commitment to client service and our desire to be genuinely responsive to the needs of our clients wherever they are located.
Our success has been built on the implementation of a clear client-focused strategy, a commitment to excellence and the calibre of our people. Our core values of talent, results, excellence, client focus and teamwork influence everything that we do, and push us to achieve the highest standards as legal professionals and advisers to our clients. Our dedication to client service and excellence has become our hallmark as a firm, and is acknowledged by both our clients themselves and the world’s leading legal directories and publications.
Awards and Endorsements
- Matheson was named Irish Tax Firm of the Year 2016 at the International Tax Review European Tax Awards; and also won European M&A Tax Deal of the Year 2016 at the same ceremony.
- Matheson won eight Finance Dublin Deals of the Year 2016. Five of the awards relate to international corporate and financial services sector deals, three relate to Irish financial services sector deals with an international profile and three relate to significant M&A transactions.
- Matheson is ranked in the FT’s top 10 European law firms 2015. Matheson has also been commended by the FT for corporate law, finance law, dispute resolution and corporate strategy. Financial Times 2012 - 2015
- Matheson was named Irish Transfer Pricing Firm of the Year 2015 at the International Tax Review European Tax Awards; and also won European M&A Tax Deal of the Year 2015 and European Consumer Products Tax Deal of the Year 2015 at the same ceremony.
- 'Best AIFMD Law Firm in Europe 2015', Wealth & Finance International
- Matheson named European Law Firm of the Year 2015 at the Hedge Fund Journal Awards.
- Matheson advised on two of Finance Dublin’s Deals of the Year 2015. The award-winning deals were in the Loans and Financing (PPP) and Financial Services (Investment Funds) categories.
- Matheson named Best Funds Lawyer Europe 2014 at the European ETF.com Awards
- Matheson named Law Firm of the Year at Irish Pensions Awards 2014
- 'Best AIFMD Law Firm in Europe 2014', Wealth & Finance International
- Matheson advised on five of Finance Dublin’s Deals of the Year 2014. The award-winning deals were in the Mergers & Acquisitions; Equity Capital Markets; Financial Services (Ireland); and Financial Services (International) categories.
- "Irish Tax Firm of the Year", International Tax Review Awards 2013
- "Client Choice" award for Ireland 2013, International Law Office, for the seventh time. Matheson was the first Irish law firm to receive the "Client Choice" award for Ireland in 2005
- Irish Intellectual Property (IP) law firm of the year, Managing IP Global Awards 2012
- "European Advisor of the Year", Funds Europe Awards 2011
- "Irish Law Firm of the Year", The Lawyer European Awards 2010 and 2011
- "Irish Law Firm of the Year", Chambers Europe Awards for Excellence 2009
- First law firm to be recognised as one of the "50 Best Workplaces in Ireland", and the only law firm to be recognised for three years running (2007, 2008 and 2009).
- One of the "50 Best Large Workplaces in Europe 2008", the first and only Irish law firm to receive this accolade and the highest ranked law firm on the list.
- "European Law Firm of the Year", The Hedge Fund Journal Awards 2007
- "Irish Tax Firm of the Year", International Tax Review Awards 2006
- First Irish law firm to be awarded "European Law Firm of the Year", Legal Business Awards 2002