University College Dublin, BCL
Trinity College Dublin, LLM
Karen is a partner in the Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution Department at Matheson.
Karen has a broad commercial litigation and dispute resolution practice. She represents clients in complex disputes of a commercial nature, arising from the provision of financial services, regulatory matters and commercial contracts. Karen also has substantial experience in corporate restructuring and insolvency law matters and has had a role in many of the most high profile insolvency and corporate rescue transactions of the last ten years. She provides strategic advice and expertise in matters relating to financial services, banking, restructuring and insolvency, shareholder disputes, corporate offences, contractual claims and professional negligence. She is a strong advocate of alternative dispute resolution and has acted for clients in mediations and arbitrations.
Karen’s clients include domestic and international companies, financial services’ providers and customers, insolvency practitioners, directors, shareholders and creditors. She has expertise in running civil and commercial litigation matters, including bringing and resisting interlocutory applications, defending and prosecuting high value commercial claims in the High Court, Commercial Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court, and advising in relation to cross-border jurisdictional and enforcement issues. Karen also advises in relation to regulatory enquiries and Irish and EU financial services law.
- Acting for an investment holding company in connection with Commercial Court proceedings arising from a shareholder dispute, including in relation to an appeal to the Court of Appeal
- Acting for one of the largest international banks in defending multi-million dollar claims made in multiple fund and related investor Commercial Court proceedings arising out of the fraud of Bernard L Madoff Investment Securities
- Advising global custodians of regulated and non-regulated funds in connection with their obligations relating to their custody of securities and other assets under Irish law
- Advising a global payment technology solutions company in connection with a dispute arising from a joint venture arrangement with a financial institution
- Acting for a company in relation to proceedings arising from a dispute in relation to the interpretation of a share option agreement and ancillary contractual arrangements
- Advising a pharma company in relation to take-down notices and enforcement of foreign judgments in Ireland
- Advising an international investment management company in relation to its hostile takeover and restructuring of an international oil and gas exploration company headquartered in Dublin
- Advising a financial institution and an insolvency practitioner in connection with defending Commercial Court proceedings arising out of high-profile receivership and financial restructuring of the Crosbie group of media companies
- Advising the petitioner in relation to the first successful examinership of companies in the construction industry, including in relation to cross border issues, security, enforcement, recognition of judgments and insolvency measures, and, in relation to an appeal to the Supreme Court
- Acting for a financial institution in a landmark solicitor’s negligence case and successful mediation of High Court proceedings
- Acting for a financial institution in multi-jurisdictional litigation in connection with the acquisition and development debt relating to the high profile esidential and commercial development known as Clancy Quay
- Advised the National Asset Management Agency (“NAMA”) in securing judgments in the first ever proceedings taken by NAMA against borrowers and guarantors in connection with loans acquired from participating institutions
- Advising financial institutions in relation to restructuring options and consensual work outs for trading corporate borrowers, including debt for equity swaps and other consensual debt restructurings using formal insolvency processes
- Advising financial institutions in connection with commercial court cases, mediations and settlements involving defaulting borrowers and guarantee claims as well as professional negligence claims
University College Dublin, BCL