University College Dublin (BCL)
Paraic Madigan is a partner and head of the Private Client Department at Matheson. He advises on personal estate and tax planning, wills, trusts and international estates. He has particular experience in trust and estate disputes, whether advising personal representatives, trustees or beneficiaries.
His work also includes advising individuals and families on investment vehicles, appropriate trust structures and the transfer of assets by gift or inheritance for estate planning and asset protection purposes. He also advises clients on tax planning when moving to Ireland and the taxation implications for beneficiaries of offshore trusts.
Paraic also advises charities, not for profit organisations and donors in relation to charitable giving.
Paraic is an associate of the Irish Taxation Institute (Chartered Tax Advisor) and a former member of the Council of STEP (Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners). He is a member of The International Academy of Estate and Trust Law and a regular speaker on tax and estate planning issues.
Paraic’s recent work includes:
- advising a widow following the death of her spouse on contentious trust and estate matters, including the tracing of valuable assets settled by her spouse during his lifetime in complex offshore structures. This also involved a six day hearing in the High Court (Scally v Rhatigan) in a successful application to remove an executor for reasons of conflict of interest
- advising on the legal and tax aspects of a complex trust dispute on behalf of a branch of a family concerning a large UK / Irish business. This involves providing advice on a complex trust restructuring, considering Irish anti-avoidance tax legislation and advising on the domicile of certain persons
- advising a Hong Kong based family on the Irish tax issues for a family member inadvertently subject to significant Irish Capital Acquisitions Tax because of long term Irish tax residence
- advising on duties and responsibilities in the administration of complex estates with property assets and significant indebtedness
- advising Irish resident settlors of trusts on the implications of anti-avoidance legislation introduced in the Finance Act 2012 which attributes capital gains to such individuals
Recognised for Trusts and Estates
Best Lawyers Ireland 2018 edition
Paraic is listed in the Citywealth Leaders List 2016.
Private Client expert
Who’s Who Legal 2015
Trusts and Estates expert
Euromoney Expert Guide 2015
The "outstanding" Paraic Madigan has "sector-leading" experience in advising personal representatives, trustees and beneficiaries on trust and estate disputes.
Who’s Who Legal 100 2014: Private Client expert
Paraic Madigan is "the first port of call for private client work in Dublin. He is immensely competent technically and delivers clear, practical advice."
Cityweath Leading Lawyers 2013
Paraic is recognised as a leading lawyer by Best Lawyers.