"We see a lot of firms across the table and we always feel we have the best team. Its input is invaluable."
Matheson's arbitration practice is long established and is widely acknowledged as one of the leading arbitration practices in Ireland. We have acted in some of the largest and most complex domestic and international arbitration disputes that have taken place in Ireland over recent years.
We regularly advise on the enforcement of foreign arbitral awards in Ireland, including representing clients in enforcement and injunction proceedings in the Irish courts, and in challenges to foreign and domestic arbitral awards.
Lawyers in our Arbitration Group have a range of experience in conducting domestic and international arbitrations under a variety of institutional rules and on an ad hoc basis. Arbitration Group members also speak and write widely on arbitration issues, both within Ireland and internationally.
Our representative cases include:
- representing a foreign governmental entity in defending a mareva injunction and related disclosure order sought in aid of foreign arbitral awards
- advising major power generation company in claims under a gas supply agreement in an expert determination process followed by an ICC arbitration
- advising a group of investors in an LCIA arbitration under the UNCITRAL rules in respect of a claim concerning investments in Russia and co-ordinating post-award enforcement issues in numerous jurisdictions
- advising multinational civil engineering contractor in arbitration proceedings in respect of a marine project
- representing a jet engine manufacturer in an ICC arbitration (and associated Court proceedings) in a €450 million dispute arising from a Regional Jet Aircraft development programme
- advising a local authority in an LCIA arbitration arising out of a waste management/handling agreement under a PPP / PFI contract
- advising multi-national civil engineering contractors in a dispute under ICC arbitration rules in relation to a large infrastructural rail project
- advising large energy company in arbitration in relation to calling in of bond
- advising a hotel management company in an ICC arbitration
- advising a telecommunications company in a fast-track ad hoc arbitration
- challenging the enforcement of a half billion euro Russian arbitral award
"This is a top team in terms of service delivery, particularly the speed of initial response."
Chambers Europe 2015
"I would certainly use these lawyers for my more high-profile cases, because they are very thorough - they drill into all the details and really get stuck into things."
Chambers Europe 2015
"The team is enthusiastic with plenty of partner involvement and a great can-do attitude. We see a lot of firms across the table and we always feel we have the best team. Its input is invaluable."
Chambers Europe 2013
"It is an exceptionally solution-oriented team that is fantastic at cutting through all the mess and getting to the bottom line. The team is great at following up points after the heat has been taken out of a situation, to make sure there are no loose ends that could come back to haunt us."
Chambers Europe 2012