"This dedicated team continues to impress market observers with its excellent client service and wide-ranging expertise."
Matheson has a dedicated Aviation Finance and Transportation Group, which works exclusively on aviation, shipping, rail and other asset financing, trading and leasing matters on a daily basis. The Aviation Finance and Transportation Group at Matheson is the largest dedicated aviation and transportation practice in any Irish law firm.
The Aviation Finance and Transportation Group advises on leasing, commercial debt and export credit agency supported financings, as well as aircraft, aircraft engine and helicopter portfolio trading. We advise both domestic and international asset financing banks in relation to financing and leasing of commercial and corporate aircraft, helicopters, rail rolling stock and ships. We also regularly act as deal counsel or Irish counsel in complex cross-border financings, including those supported by the Export-Import Bank of China, the European Export Credit Agencies and the US Export-Import Bank.
Being part of our Finance and Capital Markets Department, we regularly advise on structured finance, ABS (asset-backed securities) and repackaging transactions relating to all such asset classes including the establishment of special purpose companies funded by public and private issuances.
We also have a strong aviation regulatory practice and regularly advise Irish airlines and leasing companies on airline licencing and registration issues with the Irish Aviation Authority and Commission for Aviation Regulation in addition to all aspects of the Cape Town Convention and Aircraft Protocol.
Together with Matheson’s specialist aviation tax expertise, Matheson has assisted a number of the current top ten aircraft lessors in establishing their leasing platforms in Ireland.
Representative transactions include:
- A major private equity fund in relation to its acquisition of an aircraft portfolio comprising in excess of 150 aircraft
- An international investor in a 50 / 50 joint venture arrangement to acquire up to 70 Airbus A320 aircraft
- A domestic airline in its acquisition of up to 20 new aircraft
- The Export-Import Bank of China in respect of its financing of six Airbus A320 aircraft to a Chinese based lessor - the first aircraft delivered under this facility was the first non European assembled Airbus aircraft and the first A320 to be produced at Airbus' new assembly facility in Tianjin, China
- An international lessor and financier in its acquisition of 15 Boeing 737-800 aircraft
- An Irish aircraft lessor on its acquisition of 30 aircraft and an airline
- On the establishment of an Irish licenced airline
- On the acquisition of a portfolio of 37 aircraft
- On the acquisition of Irish and European airlines
In addition to:
- Regularly acting as Irish counsel on aircraft securitisation transactions
- Regularly acting as Irish counsel on US EX-IM supported financing of Boeing aircraft
- Regularly acting as Irish counsel on European Export Credit supported financing of Airbus and ATR aircraft
- Regularly acting as Irish counsel on BNDES Brazilian export credit supported financing of Embraer aircraft
- Regularly advising on the Cape Town Convention and Aircraft Protocol