Matheson’s Energy and Natural Resources Group is the largest dedicated energy practice in the Irish market. The Group comprises specialists in energy and utilities regulation, project finance, real estate, planning, energy corporate M&A and construction in order to provide a full service offering for our clients in this sector. The Group has the track record, experience and depth of resources to support its clients on the most complex and innovative transactions in this sector.
At Matheson we also ensure that our clients are kept up-to-date on market developments in this highly regulated sector so they can adapt to regulatory changes as well as take advantage of opportunities as they arise.
We regularly advise developers, funders, utilities, purchasers and sellers across all aspects of this sector including:
- Energy and Natural Resources M&A
- Energy Project Development (Conventional, Wind (both offshore and onshore), Solar, Battery Storage, CHP, Biomass)
- Irish and EU Energy Regulation (including REMIT and all other financial regulations)
- Energy Contracts (Corporate/REFIT/Merchant PPAs, CfDs, Gas Supply and Trading, Tolling Contracts)
- Energy Project Finance
- Energy Efficiency
- Upstream Oil and Gas
- Liquefied Natural Gas
- Electricity Connection and Licensing
- Gas Connection, Supply and Transportation
- Mining, Mineral and Fossil Fuel Exploration
- Planning, Environmental and Real Estate Matters
- Interconnectors (electricity and gas) Development and Regulation
Our recent experience includes advising:
- Sellers and Purchasers on the sale and / or acquisition of major energy and infrastructure assets in recent years, including over 3GW of electricity generating assets (of which over 1.3GW are renewable generators), Ireland’s only oil refinery at Whitegate and Ireland’s largest oil storage terminal at Bantry Bay in County Cork.
- Sponsors and Lenders on over 2.5GW renewable and conventional power plant developments. This includes over 1.3GW of onshore wind farm developments since 2015.
- EirGrid and SONI on all aspects of the I-SEM project which is the new wholesale electricity market arrangement for Ireland and Northern Ireland. Matheson’s role involved drafting and advising on the new trading rules, the new capacity market code, the new grid code, the new trading rules for the day ahead and intraday markets in I-SEM as well as drafting amendments to EirGrid’s operational agreements necessitated by I-SEM.
- Vermilion Energy Inc.’s acquisition (valued at over €1 billion) together with a Canadian pension fund of Shell’s interest in the Corrib gas project. We have advised Vermilion Energy Inc. since 2008 when they first invested in the Corrib gas project. We are also retained by major international players in the market such as ExxonMobil, CNOOC and Woodside Energy.
- A large international conglomerate on the development of a 200MW Battery Energy Storage System project in the mid-west region of Ireland (this is the one of the largest projects of its kind in Europe).
- A number of large multinational technology companies in relation to the drafting and negotiation of corporate power purchase agreements (the first to be announced in the Irish market) and on its renewable energy procurement strategy and trading structures and agreements.
- A large multinational company on the sale of an energy supply company in respect of a 37MW Irish wind farm to a large international technology company, including the negotiation of a REFIT-subsidised corporate PPA (the first in the Irish market).
- Partners Group (UK) Limited, a global private equity firm, on its acquisition of an interest in the Greenlink Interconnector, a project to construct a 500MW subsea electricity interconnector between Ireland and Great Britain.
- Irving Oil on the acquisition of Tedcastles Oil Products Unlimited Company and its associated subsidiaries.
- One of the largest Irish wind farm portfolio managers on various matters in connection with the introduction of the new wholesale electricity market arrangement for Ireland and Northern Ireland (I-SEM), including the re-drafting and negotiation of all of its existing PPAs and the structuring, development and drafting of a complex trade facilitation agreement in the context of I-SEM.
- A number of Irish electricity suppliers on the re-drafting and negotiation of their existing PPAs in the context of changes to the wholesale electricity market.
- One of the largest thermal generators in Ireland on a wide variety of matters, including interface with its lenders, trading agreements and a complex outsourcing agreement in respect of gas trading services.
- One of the largest global mining companies on their Irish assets.
Matheson provide "very quick and excellent services”
Garret Farrelly is described as “always approachable, contactable and prioritised helping and supporting our company”.
Chambers Europe 2019
Matheson’s Energy and Natural Resources team is “approachable” and “available at any time”.
European Legal 500 2019
Matheson provides “sound advice”.
European Legal 500 2019
Matheson’s diverse practice takes in electricity and gas regulatory matters, oil and gas M&A transactions and regulatory matters, as well as project finance and M&A for renewables projects.
European Legal 500 2018
"Matheson is our go-to firm for advice in Ireland – whether on complicated energy matters or contentious planning permission issues. The lawyers are incredibly bright, experienced and responsive. Their advice is always practical."
Chambers Europe 2018