Matheson "stands out amongst other law firms".
European Legal 500
The food and beverage sector is one of Ireland's most important industry sectors. It supports €10 billion in annual exports and 250,000 jobs. The Irish food and beverage sector has a global reach and includes many international companies doing business in and from Ireland.
Matheson’s food and beverage team is multi-disciplinary, combining lawyers from a range of specialisms who share industry knowledge and in-depth experience of the sector. As standing counsel for many leading food and beverage brands, Matheson has unrivalled experience of advising on the complex issues unique to this sector.
We advise on all aspects of the law affecting the food and beverage sector and have acted on most of the recent significant transactions in this sector, providing corporate, regulatory, tax and competition law advice. In addition, our expert practitioners provide specialist intellectual property, employment law, product liability and commercial contracts advice to leading companies in this sector.
Matheson’s primary focus is on serving the Irish legal needs of internationally focused companies and financial institutions doing business in and from Ireland. Matheson advises 7 of the top 10 global technology brands, 7 of the world’s 10 largest asset managers, and over half of the world’s 50 largest banks and has advised the majority of the Fortune 100 companies. Over the past five years, Matheson has advised more acquirers on M&A deals in the financial services and the energy sector than any other Irish law firm - and on more M&A deals in the food, media and internet / ecommerce sectors than any other Irish law firm. Matheson employs over 750 people across its six offices, including 97 partners and tax principals and over 480 legal and tax professionals. Headquartered in Dublin and with offices in Cork, London, New York, Palo Alto and San Francisco, our strength, depth and expertise makes us a leader in advising food and beverage companies operating in Ireland.
Highlights of our recent work in the food and beverage sector include advising:
- William Grant & Sons Limited on the €300 million acquisition of the international spirits division of C&C Group Plc
- Beam Inc., the listed US-based company engaged in the manufacture, sale and distribution of spirits, home and hardware products, and golf products on its acquisition of Cooley Distillery, the Ireland-based spirits producer
- On the €2.5 billion cross-jurisdictional merger of Ireland’s IAWS and Switzerland’s Hiestand Holdings to create the Irish Swiss listed food company Aryzta
- The founders of a leading Irish food distribution company on its disposal to an American multinational corporation involved in the marketing and distribution of food products
- Monaghan Middlebrook Mushrooms on its acquisition of Walkro International BV from Bencis Capital Partners BV
- The Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation on the provisions of the draft Grocery Regulations, based on the provisions of the Competition and Consumer Protection Act 2014 and other applicable laws
- One of the largest international drinks manufacturers in trade mark infringement and passing-off proceedings, and in brand protection matters
- A specialist food manufacturer in relation to a substantial outsourcing of production of one of its core products
- A chain of international restaurants in its expansion of restaurant premises throughout the Republic of Ireland
- Food and beverage companies on, and the application of, Irish gaming and lotteries legislation and industry codes to promotions related to food and drink products, including marketing to children
- Multinational food and beverage companies on the legal requirements for food labelling, packaging and advertising
- A multinational seed manufacturer regarding laws and regulations governing the adventitious presence of trace amounts of genetically modified organisms in conventional seed products
- On the cataloguing and online sale of food and diet supplements and foods for particular nutritional uses (PARNUTS)
- An international manufacturer in defending a consumer claim involving contamination of a food product
- A multinational organisation in a dispute challenging health claims made on food product labelling
- In relation to taste testing of food products and the text of food packaging arising from that taste testing
- Global food and drinks company on the importation of precursor products in the context of a regulatory site inspection
The team was highly active in the food and drink sector.
European Legal 500 2018