We advise on requirements for merger control clearance including from the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC), the Minister for Communications, and the European Commission. We have in-depth experience of how to best manage merger control reviews and our team includes a former senior official of the UK Competition and Markets Authority who also spent time on secondment to the CCPC.
We have successfully gained clearance for numerous complex mergers, including EU and Irish clearances at Phase II and subject to behavioural and structural remedies. We specialise in advising clients on merger control risk when buying and selling businesses, including in competitive bid auctions. We have in-depth experience across all sectors and markets to include financial services, technology, telecommunications, energy and utilities, healthcare, aviation, and food and beverage. Matheson has advised on one third of CCPC filings made in 2019/2020.
We have advised;
- Independent News & Media (INM) obtaining merger and media merger clearance for its takeover by Belgian media group Mediahuis
- Sky plc on obtaining Irish media merger clearance for competing bids for its acquisition by Comcast Corporation (successful) and 21st Century Fox (unsuccessful)
- A major multinational insurer on obtaining unconditional CCPC clearance to acquire a competitor
- On the first ever Phase II ‘media merger’ investigation by the Minister for Communications
- On obtaining unconditional EU Commission clearance for two interconditional acquisitions in the health insurance sector
- Wexford Milk Producers Limited on the CCPC’s Phase II investigation into its merger with Glanbia, resulting in a clearance of the transaction without conditions
- Advising Three on the European Commission’s Phase II investigation of its acquisition of Telefónica Ireland, ‘O2’, resulting in a clearance of the transaction subject to conditions and on competition and regulatory issues following this clearance