Barry O'Connor is a partner in the Asset Management and Investment Funds Group at Matheson. He practices financial services law and advises many of the world's leading financial institutions, investment banks, asset management companies, broker-dealers and corporations carrying on business through Irish domiciled investment funds (ICAVs, investment companies, unit trusts, CCFs and ILPs) and Irish domiciled management companies (UCITS and AIFMs).
Barry has extensive experience advising on the launch of UCITS and AIFs (stand-alone funds, umbrellas and third party manager platforms) across the full range of strategies, including plain vanilla strategies, hedge fund strategies, structured UCITS, fund of funds, money market funds, ETFs and master-feeders, and on their ongoing servicing (including the launch and termination of sub-funds, a change of service providers and listing on the Irish Stock Exchange). He is also experienced in more complex issues arising in the course of the life of a UCITS or AIF, including obtaining Central Bank approval for innovative fund mechanics and structures.
Barry’s experience highlights include advising:
- the first AIFM to be authorised in Europe;
- on innovate reverse distribution mechanisms in money market funds;
- on the incorporation of private equity fund structures into plcs and ICAVs;
- on innovate investment strategies, including hedge fund seeding funds and renewable energy infrastructure funds;
- on the use of Irish s110 and non-Irish domiciled subsidiaries; and
- on cross-border and domestic UCITS mergers.
“Go-to guy on UCITS. He has what we like about Matheson – he is extremely responsive and knowledgeable.”
Chambers Europe 2018