- University of Limerick, Bachelor of Arts in Law and Accounting
- Qualified as a Solicitor in Ireland
Donal is a partner in the Asset Management Department at Matheson. He practices financial services law and advises many of the world's leading financial institutions, investment banks and asset management companies carrying on business through Irish domiciled investment funds and Irish domiciled management companies.
Donal has widespread experience in the establishment, authorisation and operation of all types of investment funds in Ireland, including UCITS and non-UCITS across the full range of strategies, including plain vanilla strategies, hedge fund strategies, structured UCITS, fund of funds, money market funds and exchange traded funds (“ETFs”). He also has significant experience in the provision of regulatory and compliance matters for fund service providers. He has particular experience in relation to advising ETFs and the re-domiciliation of investment funds, in particular cross border mergers of funds under UCITS IV. He has extensive experience in respect of the authorisation of management companies seeking approval in Ireland under both the UCITS Directive and Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive (“AIFMD”).
Donal is a member of the Irish Funds Packaged Retail Investments Product Regulation working group.
- advised on the establishment and operation of major ETF platforms
- advised on numerous cross border mergers including one of the first UCITS ETF mergers in Europe
- advised in respect of the authorisation of management companies seeking approval in Ireland under both the UCITS Directive and AIFMD.
- advised both UCITS management companies and AIFMs on their passporting applications to be appointed as the management company to other EU domiciled investment funds
- advised on the cross-border aspects of Irish domiciled investment funds marketing and entering both European and non-European markets
- assisted clients prepare for reviews by the Central Bank of Ireland notably so-called “PRISM” reviews which have become increasingly common
- ongoing advisory and compliance work with some of the world’s largest asset managers