Fergus earned his Bachelor of Civil Law (B.C.L. (Hons.)) from University College Cork and, before practicing law, interned as a Legal Stagiaire in the Human Rights’ Unit of the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs in Dublin.
Fergus Bolster is considered "to be a strong choice for technology transactions".
Chambers Global & Europe
Fergus Bolster is a partner in the firm's Corporate M&A Group, where he focuses primarily on mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganisations (including corporate redomiciliation and demerger transactions), financing transactions, securities law and corporate governance matters.
Fergus has represented public and private corporations, institutional, private equity and venture investors, State bodies and investment banks, transacting in a variety of industries and sectors, including, in particular, technology, energy and media. He has extensive experience advising US and other international clients on cross-border acquisitions of Irish companies, both public and private (hostile and recommended), migrations and capital markets transactions (undertaken domestically and by Irish companies listed on US and other foreign exchanges).
Fergus counsels corporate clients on a broad range of governance and business-related matters, including directors' duties and responsibilities, disclosure obligations and compliance matters. This advice is often provided to boards and individual directors in situations where the satisfaction of their fiduciary duties is subject to public scrutiny.
Fergus has advised:
- STERIS plc (NYSE) on its corporate re-domiciliation from the UK to Ireland and the listing of the new Irish holding company on the NYSE
- Druva Inc., the global leader in cloud data protection and management on its acquisition of Irish based CloudRanger
- The Irish Strategic Investment Fund, on its investment in the Irish based AMCS Group, the world’s leading supplier of integrated software and vehicle technology for the resource management, waste collection and recycling industry
- Fidante Capital, as lead manager, on the admission of Yew Grove REIT plc to AIM and the ESM market of Euronext Dublin and the related €75 million placing
- Zavante Therapeutics on its acquisition by Irish registered, NASDAQ listed, Nabriva Therapeutics plc
- FireEye, Inc. (NASDAQ) on its acquisition of Clean Communications Limited
- The Irish Strategic Investment Fund, the cornerstone investor in Greencoat Renewables plc, in relation to the floatation of Greencoat on the ESM market of the Irish Stock Exchange and the AIM market of the London Stock Exchange
- Tullow Oil plc (ISE, LSE) on its £607 million rights issue of ordinary shares
- Weatherford International plc (NYSE) on over $5.5 billion in equity, debt and hybrid securities offerings
- Worldview Capital on its successful hostile takeover of Petroceltic International plc (ESM; AIM) (Hostile Deal of the Year – Finance Dublin Deals of the Year 2017)
- Electroroute and its founders on a major new partnership with Mitsubishi Corporation, a deal which has seen Mitsubishi taking a 60% stake in the Irish company (Small Market M&A Deal of the Year – Finance Dublin Deals of the Year 2017
- Oculus VR, LLC (a subsidiary of Facebook, Inc. (NASDAQ)) on the acquisition of Irish based InfiniLED Limited
- Weatherford International Ltd. (NYSE; SIX) on its corporate re-domiciliation from Switzerland to Ireland and the listing of the new Irish holding company, Weatherford International plc, on the NYSE
- Actavis Inc. (NYSE) on its $8.5 billion acquisition of Warner Chilcott plc (NASDAQ) and corporate re-domiciliation to Ireland
- Royalty Pharma on its $6.5 billion hostile bid for Elan Corporation (NYSE: ISE)
- Cemex España, a member of the Cemex Group (BMV (Mexico): NYSE) on its recommended public acquisition of Readymix plc (ISE) by means of an Irish law scheme of arrangement
Fergus Bolster often acts on deals involving entities from the USA. Sources highlight his knowledge of public company law, and one client appreciates that he is "strategic in his approach, very responsive and gives very clear advice."
Chambers Global & Europe 2019
“A very strong corporate team with deep local knowledge. Standout corporate partners include Fergus Bolster…”
"Very responsive and pragmatic."
Highly Regarded Individual for M&A
Highly Regarded Individual for Capital Markets: Equity
IFLR1000 2018 and 2019
Recommended Capital Markets
Recommended Commercial Corporate M&A
Legal 500 2019
Matheson showcased its strength in the technology sector with the “insightful” Fergus Bolster, advising Oculus VR on its acquisition of InfiniLED
Legal 500 2018
Matheson’s “proven track record in advising Irish public companies with US listings was in evidence once again, with Fergus Bolster advising Weatherford International on a $1bn registered direct offering of ordinary shares and warrants to acquire ordinary shares”
Legal 500 2018
Fergus Bolster is "very good for general corporate advice in Ireland”. Clients appreciate his "excellent stewardship".
Chambers Global & Europe 2018
Clients say Fergus Bolster is "responsive, succinct and well informed".
Chambers Global & Europe 2017
Winner - Hostile Deal of the Year –- Worldview Capital on its successful hostile takeover of Petroceltic International plc
Finance Dublin Deals of the Year 2017
Winner - Small Market M&A Deal of the Year – ElectroRoute and its founders on a major new partnership with Mitsubishi Corporation
Finance Dublin Deals of the Year 2017
Fergus Bolster is admired for his "responsiveness and knowledge of Irish law, especially how it relates to international companies".
Chambers Global 2016
Fergus Bolster has particular expertise in handling M&A transactions and corporate governance issues, with a keen focus in cross-border takeovers.
Chambers Global & Europe 2015
Clients consider Fergus Bolster to be a strong choice for technology transactions.
Chambers Global & Europe 2014
Fergus Bolster recently advised on the merger of Realm Energy International with San Leon Energy. He also has particular expertise in advising on takeovers and securities law.
Chambers Europe 2013
Fergus Bolster is highly regarded by market commentators and has a wealth of experience in the corporate sector.
Chambers Global 2012
Fergus Bolster is applauded for his "availability, responsiveness and pragmatic advice".
European Legal 500 2012
Recognised for Venture Capital Law
Best Lawyers Ireland 2014 - 2019 editions