Fergus earned his Bachelor of Civil Law (B.C.L. (Hons.)) from University College Cork and, before practicing law, interned as a Legal Stagiaire in the Human Rights’ Unit of the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs in Dublin.
Fergus Bolster is considered "to be a strong choice for technology transactions".
Chambers Global & Europe
Fergus Bolster is a partner in the firm's Corporate M&A Group, where he focuses primarily on mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganisations (including corporate redomiciliation and demerger transactions), financing transactions, securities law and corporate governance matters.
Fergus has represented public and private corporations, institutional, private equity and venture investors, State bodies and investment banks, transacting in a variety of industries and sectors, including, in particular, technology, energy and media. He has extensive experience advising US and other international clients on cross-border acquisitions of Irish companies, both public and private (hostile and recommended), migrations and capital markets transactions (undertaken domestically and by Irish companies listed on US and other foreign exchanges).
Fergus counsels corporate clients on a broad range of governance and business-related matters, including directors' duties and responsibilities, disclosure obligations and compliance matters. This advice is often provided to boards and individual directors in situations where the satisfaction of their fiduciary duties is subject to public scrutiny.
As a exponent of entrepreneurship, Fergus has also successfully guided numerous businesses from formation through growth and onto exit, assisting them on all aspects of their legal requirements, and he maintains a number of early stage and growth companies in his advisory portfolio.
Fergus has advised:
- FireEye, Inc. (NASDAQ) on its acquisition of Clean Communications Limited
- The Irish Strategic Investment Fund, the cornerstone investor in Greencoat Renewables plc, in relation to the floatation of Greencoat on the ESM market of the Irish Stock Exchange and the AIM market of the London Stock Exchange
- Tullow Oil plc (ISE, LSE) on its £607 million rights issue of ordinary shares
- Weatherford International plc (NYSE) on a $1 billion registered direct offering of ordinary shares and warrants to acquire ordinary shares
- Weatherford International plc (NYSE) on a $540 million private offering of senior notes
- Worldview Capital on its successful hostile takeover of Petroceltic International plc (ESM; AIM) (Hostile Deal of the Year – Finance Dublin Deals of the Year 2017)
- Electroroute and its founders on a major new partnership with Mitsubishi Corporation, a deal which has seen Mitsubishi taking a 60% stake in the Irish company (Small Market M&A Deal of the Year – Finance Dublin Deals of the Year 2017)
- Oculus VR, LLC (a subsidiary of Facebook, Inc. (NASDAQ)) on the acquisition of InfiniLED Limited
- Weatherford International plc (NYSE) on a $2.6 billion tender offer for existing senior notes
- Weatherford International plc (NYSE) on a $1.5 billion underwritten public offering of senior notes
- Weatherford International plc (NYSE) on a $1.1 billion underwritten public offering of senior exchangeable notes
- Weatherford International plc (NYSE) on a $565 million underwritten public offering of ordinary shares
- Weatherford International Ltd. (NYSE; SIX) on its corporate re-domiciliation from Switzerland to Ireland and the listing of the new Irish holding company, Weatherford International plc, on the NYSE
- Actavis Inc. (NYSE) on its $8.5 billion acquisition of Warner Chilcott plc (NASDAQ) and corporate re-domiciliation to Ireland
- Royalty Pharma on its $6.5 billion hostile bid for Elan Corporation (NYSE: ISE)
- Cemex España, a member of the Cemex Group (BMV (Mexico): NYSE) on its recommended public acquisition of Readymix plc (ISE) by means of an Irish law scheme of arrangement
- Realm Energy International Corporation (TSX Venture Exchange) on its recommended public merger with San Leon Energy plc (AIM)
- Maple Energy plc (AIM: LIMA) on a $254 million debt and equity financing of its Peruvian ethanol project
- Goodbody Corporate Finance, financial adviser to Cerasus II Limited, on the recommended public acquisition by Cerasus II Limited of Trintech Group plc (NASDAQ) by means of an Irish law scheme of arrangement
- Angelini Labopharm Limited Partnership on the establishment of a joint venture between Labopharm Inc. (TSX: NASDAQ) and Gruppo Angelini for the commercialisation of the OLEPTRO(TM) drug
Fergus Bolster often acts on deals involving entities from the USA. Sources highlight his knowledge of public company law, and one client appreciates that he is "strategic in his approach, very responsive and gives very clear advice."
Corporate: Chambers Global 2019
"Very responsive and pragmatic."
Recognised for Venture Capital Law
Best Lawyers Ireland 2019 edition
Fergus Bolster is "very good for general corporate advice in Ireland”. Clients appreciate his "excellent stewardship".
Chambers Global & Europe 2018
Highly Regarded Individual for M&A and Capital Markets: Equity.
Recognised for Venture Capital Law
Best Lawyers Ireland 2018 edition
Clients say Fergus Bolster is "responsive, succinct and well informed".
Chambers Global & Europe 2017
Fergus Bolster is admired for his "responsiveness and knowledge of Irish law, especially how it relates to international companies".
Chambers Global 2016
Fergus Bolster has particular expertise in handling M&A transactions and corporate governance issues, with a keen focus in cross-border takeovers.
Chambers Global & Europe 2015
Clients consider Fergus Bolster to be a strong choice for technology transactions.
Chambers Global & Europe 2014
Fergus Bolster recently advised on the merger of Realm Energy International with San Leon Energy. He also has particular expertise in advising on takeovers and securities law.
Chambers Europe 2013
Fergus Bolster is highly regarded by market commentators and has a wealth of experience in the corporate sector.
Chambers Global 2012
Fergus Bolster is applauded for his "availability, responsiveness and pragmatic advice".
European Legal 500 2012