Trinity College Dublin (LLB, 1999)
Gerry Thornton is "very concise, very clear and very commercial".
Gerry Thornton is a partner in the Tax practice of Matheson. Gerry advises financial institutions and internationally focused corporations doing business in and from Ireland on all aspects of corporate tax. His main focus is the financial services sector, including investment banking, structured finance, investment funds, leasing, derivatives and insurance. Gerry frequently advises on mergers and acquisitions and tax dispute matters in the financial services sector.
Gerry advises many of the world’s leading financial institutions, asset management companies and leasing companies carrying on business in or from Ireland.
Gerry takes an active industry role in developing the Irish internationally-focused financial sector. He is a member of the tax steering committee of Irish Funds, the representative body for the international investment fund community in Ireland, and is chair of Irish Funds' international tax working group. Gerry was closely involved in the legislative amendments to the Irish securitisation regime in 2011, and has been involved in changes to Irish tax legislation for the financial sector every year since then. In 2014, Gerry was closely involved in the drafting of the legislation introducing the ICAV, Ireland's new investment fund vehicle, into law.
Gerry is the author of the Irish chapter of the International Bureau of Fiscal Documentation's publication on permanent establishments. Gerry lectures extensively on financial services tax matters, both at the Irish Taxation Institute and the Law Society of Ireland, including courses on leasing taxation, banking taxation and investment funds taxation. Gerry also publishes articles with leading tax journals on a regular basis.
Gerry is a qualified solicitor and a qualified tax consultant and is a member of the Law Society of Ireland and the Irish Taxation Institute. Gerry previously worked in the group tax department of Deutsche Bank in the City of London.
Recent highlights include:
- advising Element Financial Corporation on its award-winning $1.4 billion aircraft asset-backed securitisation (ABS), the first $1 billion-plus aircraft ABS since 2008
- advising on the establishment of the first loan origination regulated fund in Ireland in 2016
- advising on the award-winning Trade MAPS trade finance asset securitisation, a first of its kind multi-bank, multi-jurisdiction trade finance asset securitisation relating to import and export activities
- advising Royalty Pharma, the investment fund, on its $6.5 billion bid for Elan
- advising Vanguard on the establishment of its Irish common contractual funds
- advising FMS Wertmanagement on its acquisition of Depfa Bank
- advising the Irish Government on its €1.3 billion sale of Irish Life to Great-West Lifeco
- advising Napier Park on its aircraft leasing joint venture Blackbird Capital with Air Lease Corporation
- advising Clearstream on its acquisition of its Irish fund services business from Citco
- advising the majority investor on the establishment of Sky Leasing, an aviation leasing business headquartered in Dublin with over $250 million of initial equity capital available
- advising Clearstream on the merger of its Irish businesses
- advising ASL Aviation on its acquisition of TNT's airline operations
Recognised for Tax Law
Best Lawyers Ireland 2019 edition
Gerry is "very knowledgeable, very creative, responsive and personable."
Chambers Europe 2018
Recognised for Tax Law
Best Lawyers Ireland 2018 edition
Gerry Thornton is recommended.
European Legal 500 2017
Clients praise Gerry Thornton for his "in-depth knowledge of the relevant tax issues, and sound commercial advice tailored to our products and business".
Chambers Europe 2016
Clients praise Gerry Thornton's "indepth knowledge of the relevant tax issues, and sound commercial advice tailored to our products and business".
Chambers Global & Europe 2016
Gerry Thornton "embraces challenges" and is recommended.
European Legal 500 2015
Gerry Thornton has a growing profile in Irish tax, following recent success on several projects involving cross-border issues and securitisations.
Chambers Global & Europe 2015
Clients appreciate that Gerry gives "advice tailored to the situation you are in. He is very concise, very clear and very commercial". Other sources note: "He really takes time to tease things out. There's a lot going on under the bonnet".
Chambers Global & Europe 2014
Gerry Thornton is highlighted by clients for his ability to "distil extremely complex detail into clear and reasonable advice".
Chambers Global & Europe 2013
Gerry Thornton is recognised as a leading lawyer by Best Lawyers.