- University College Dublin (Bachelor of Business and Legal Studies)
- Qualified as a solicitor in Ireland
- University College Dublin (Diploma in Employment Law)
- Law Society of Ireland (Diploma in Commercial Litigation)
- Qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales
Russell is a partner in the Employment, Pensions and Benefits Group and specialises in employment, equality, benefits and immigration law. He has over 11 years’ experience in Ireland and the UK advising a wide range of public sector, third sector, corporate and institutional clients on industrial relations issues and all aspects of contentious and non-contentious employment law from recruitment to termination.
Having been the employment lead on a large number of major reorganisations, outsourcings and commercial transactions across the private and public sector in the UK and in the technology, pharma and financial services sectors in Matheson, Russell has a particular expertise in advising clients on the complex workforce challenges that arise from their commercial activities. This includes staff transfers (TUPE in particular), large scale change programmes and individual and collective redundancies, and the consequent litigation that can arise in such projects.
Russell also has extensive experience advising clients in relation to various Irish employment disputes, claims and injunction proceedings in all employment fora and the superior courts.
Russell‘s breadth of experience and expertise in UK employment matters means that he frequently works with clients and potential clients operating in and from the UK to advise them on the differences and nuances between UK and Irish employment laws, amongst other things. This also means that Russell has extensive practical experience of handling various whistleblowing issues both in the UK and here in Ireland.
Russell is an active member of the UK Employment Lawyers Association, the European Employment Lawyers Association, the Employment Lawyers Association of Ireland and the American Bar Association. As well as delivering regular presentations and training to colleagues and clients, Russell has delivered bespoke training to members of the American Chamber of Commerce and presented at employment conferences organised by the American Bar Association and Legal-Island.
- advised an international private oil and gas exploration and production company in relation to the termination of certain senior staff and the modification of the employment related entitlements of approximately 30 staff across four different jurisdictions arising as a consequence of a change of control in the client pursuant to High Court approved schemes of arrangement
- advised one of the largest vehicle rental service companies in Europe in relation to the employment aspects of the share acquisition of its Irish franchisee including the implementation of new contracts of employment with senior management of the seller
- advised a global banking and financial services corporation in relation to, amongst other things, immigration issues, employee relations issues, employment claims and disputes before the Workplace Relations Commission and staff transfers
- advised an international business continuity provider in relation to the successful settlement of a complex disability discrimination and victimisation claim
- advised the largest healthcare commissioner in the UK, NHS England, in relation to the implementation of a single model of engagement for thousands of medical appraisers across England
- advised numerous NHS organisations in relation to the employment and pensions aspects of intra-NHS mergers and acquisitions including the carrying out of due diligence processes and advising on post-transfer restructure issues.
- advised one of the largest integrated social enterprise providers of health and social care in the UK in relation to the transfer under TUPE of thousands of staff into the social enterprise from different areas of the public sector and ongoing employment matters.
- advised the world’s largest private hospital group in relation to the employment aspects of the purchase of shares in a private hospital.
- advised the largest beef processors in Ireland and one of the largest beef processors in Europe in the defence of 40 separate Circuit Court and High Court employer liability actions involving four different meat processing plants in Ireland
- advised numerous ‘start up’ companies in relation to obtaining employment permits for non-EEA nationals at every level
- advised numerous public and private organisations in relation to the employment and pensions aspects of procurement processes
- advised numerous public, private and third sector clients in relation to various employment disputes, claims and interlocutory proceedings