Tom is the Head of the Matheson Digital Services Group.
Tom leads a dedicated multi-disciplinary team of 17 professionals including AI software developers, lawyers, legal solutions consultants, legal project managers, document automation specialists and business analysts operating across three divisions: client solutions, legal process optimisation and digital innovation. Tom and his team specialise in deploying current and emerging technologies including cloud based systems, intelligent automation, data visualisation and cognitive computing solutions such as machine learning, expert systems and natural language processing technologies on complex and large scale legal matters.
Tom has extensive experience in advising and consulting both Irish and international financial institutions and in-house legal teams on a wide range of legal technology matters including data management, transaction management and advanced matter management.
Tom has contributed to a number of publications including:
- Firm Warning: Embrace Technology or Fail, The Irish Times, 13 September 2019
- Finding The North Star, The Law Society Gazette, 2 April 2019
- Innovation Strategies for Law Firms, RSG Consulting, 27 March 2018
- Survival of Law Firms Depends on Innovation, The Irish Times, 1 February 2018
- The Law Of The Digital Land, The Irish Times, 1 February 2018
- Innovation Insight: Crossing the AI Rubicon, Insight Technology and Practice, 28 October 2017
- Automatic For The People, TechCentral.ie, 13 October 2017
Tom's experience includes:
- Legal Software Product Development – Leading the design, development and release of a regulatory compliance software product which was designed to assist small, medium and large enterprises with their GDPR compliance journey.
- Bespoke Legal Technology Solution Development – Leading the design, development and deployment of multiple legal software solutions to assist in-house legal teams achieve their optimum target operating model.
- Legal Project Management – Project managing the first due diligence project in Ireland to use machine learning contract analysis software, providing significant cost savings to the client.
- Regulatory Investigations and Inquiries – Providing technical and project management consultancy to a large financial institution on a competition authority probe which involved managing a detailed analysis of over 200,000 documents.
Legal Innovator of the Year for Europe (shortlist), 2017, Financial Times
“Top 5 Trailblazers of the Legal Tech Revolution”, 2017, Financial Times