Padraic Roche is a partner in the firm’s Corporate Department. His practice focuses on advising both public and private companies on a range of corporate law issues, with a particular focus on mergers and acquisitions, equity investments, corporate restructuring, portfolio transfers and corporate governance. Padraic’s practice has a sector focus on financial institutions, including banks, insurers, investment managers and Fintech companies.
Padraic joined Matheson after serving for three years as general counsel and company secretary of Malin Corporation plc, an internationally-focused life sciences investment company listed on the ESM of the Irish Stock Exchange. Prior to his role in Malin, Padraic served as head of legal in Ireland for Mercer, a leading global consulting firm, and as EMEA legal counsel for Xilinx, a NASDAQ listed technology company headquartered in Silicon Valley. Padraic also previously worked in another major Irish law firm for over six years.
From his time as a senior in-house lawyer, Padraic gained deep understanding of the challenges faced by companies and their in-house legal teams and developed extensive experience across multiple areas including public markets, private company investments, group structuring, risk management, project execution, management of external counsel and corporate governance.
Padraic holds a first class honours degree in Corporate Law from NUI, Galway and he completed an MSc in Business (Leadership and Management Practice) in UCD in 2019.
Padraic’s experience in Matheson includes:
- Acting for DMS Governance on its acquisition of each of MontLake Funds, MDO Management and Oligo Fund Services
- Advising Global Risk Partners (GRP) on its acquisition of a majority stake in Crotty Insurance
- Acting for IFG Group plc on its £206m recommended public takeover by Epiris LLP
- Acting for Independent News & Media plc on its €145m recommended public takeover by Mediahuis NV
- Advising Battery Ventures and Dawn Capital on their participation in Soldo’s $61m Series B fundraising round Advising Horizon Therapeutics plc (NASDAQ listed) on Irish aspects of its $345m equity financing
- Advising Horizon Therapeutics plc (NASDAQ listed, Irish plc) on Irish aspects of its $345m equity financing in Feb 2019, its $800m equity financing in August 2020 and on its ongoing Irish law
- Acting for An Post on its sale of Data Ireland
- Advising the Greenman Group on its group restructuring
- Advising a number of large multinational clients (including a major global investment bank and major global asset manager) in respect of cross border mergers, Irish domestic mergers, portfolio transfers and related regulatory approvals
- Advising multiple companies on corporate structuring as part of Brexit-related planning
Padraic’s experience in industry includes:
- The legal execution of all investments made by Malin Corporation plc between June 2015 and June 2018, ranging in value from €1- €72 million
- Three secondary share offerings by Malin Corporation plc on the ESM of the Irish Stock Exchange
- Serving as a member of Mercer’s European transaction team and lead Mercer lawyer on strategic UK-based acquisition
- Significant experience at advising c-suite on corporate governance and regulatory issues
University College Dublin, MSc in Business (Leadership and Management Practice)
National College of Ireland, Galway, Bachelor of Corporate Law
National College of Ireland, Galway, LLB
Law Society of Ireland, admitted as a solicitor