Stuart Margetson is a consultant in the Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution Department where he advises on dispute resolution in the areas of administrative and environmental law, professional negligence and commercial litigation generally. Stuart is also a senior member of the firm's Life Sciences Group and advises many clients in the life sciences sector.
Stuart has managed many highly complex commercial litigation projects involving both domestic and international clients in the corporate, institutional and private client sectors.
As a founder member of the firm's Environmental Law Group, Stuart advises extensively on the increasingly complex regulatory regimes for environmental protection on a domestic, European, and international level.
Stuart is a CEDR (Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution) Accredited Mediator and has experience in representing clients in the mediation of disputes.
Stuart is a Panel Member of both The Solicitors Mutual Defence Fund and the Medical Protection Society, defending claims of professional negligence against solicitors and doctors respectively.
Stuart is a member of DRI (Defence Research Institute) Europe; the editorial board of the Irish Planning and Environmental Law Journal and Union Internationale des Avocats. He is a founder, former Chairman and present Honorary Vice-President and Council Member of the Irish Environmental Law Association. He is a founder, former Chairman and present Council member of the Irish Commercial Mediation Association. He is a member of the Just Sport Ireland panel of mediators, the Garda Siochana, disciplinary matters, Enquiry and Appeals panel, and the International Hockey Federation (FIH) Judicial Commission.
He has contributed to a number of publications including Environmental Law in Ireland: a Guide for Business and Industry; The Impact of Planning, Licensing and Environmental Issues in Ireland — a report for the Government — sponsored Industrial Policy Review Group.
Stuart has advised:
- A number of pharmaceutical companies in ongoing product liability claims arising from the use of benzodiazepines, MMR vaccine, blood products.
- A major tobacco company in ongoing regulatory and product liability actions.
- A client involved in aquaculture in a substantial damages claim in the Commercial Court and the Supreme Court, relating to trespass and damage by State authorities to mussel beds in Wexford Harbour.
- A packaging and distribution client in successful competition proceedings for damages against a sugar supplier, for abuse of its dominant position in the market, based upon a decision of the European Commission and the European Court of Justice (ECJ).
- A communications infrastructural client in a substantial damages claim for breach of warranty and misrepresentation arising from the purchase of a company owning substantial infrastructural assets, from a major communications company.
- The owners of a major multi-national clothing and accessories brand in High Court, Commercial Division, proceedings for specific performance of a Share Purchase Agreement and restraining the proposed purchaser from unauthorised use of intellectual property rights.
- A telecommunications client in Commercial Court proceedings alleging breach of contract and damages due to the termination of a supply arrangement.
Euromoney Expert Guide 2015
Stuart Margetson is "highly knowledgeable" on all aspects of the dispute resolution process.
Who’s Who Legal 100 2014: Product Liability, Commercial Litigation expert
Stuart Margetson is an experienced mediator with expertise in product liability, environmental law and administrative matters.
Chambers Global 2014
Stuart Margetson has a wealth of experience in insurance matters. One client praises his ability to "speak in non-legal terms and communicate in an uncomplicated way".
Chambers Europe 2013
Recommended by Best Lawyers for Ireland in the Expertise of Arbitration and Mediation, Environmental Law, Intellectual Property and Litigation Expertise.
Stuart is also recognised as a leading lawyer by international legal directories Euromoney Expert Guides, Who's Who Legal and Best Lawyers.
CEDR Accredited Mediator
Admitted as a solicitor in Ireland
Admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales (non-practising)
Trinity College Dublin (BA)