Our team has extensive experience of dealing with law enforcement issues, investigations by all the Irish regulators and also in working with regulators in other jurisdictions in transnational matters. At all times, we strive to protect our clients from being sanctioned and also from the reputational consequences that can flow from a criminal/regulatory investigation.
Many of our clients operate in a highly regulated environment and regulatory breaches can carry with them the risk of significant sanctions as well as adverse reputational risk. We regularly advise clients from a range of industries in situations often involving matters of criminal conduct such as fraud, bribery and corruption, money laundering investigations, corporate criminal offences. We regularly advise our clients in connection with investigations by the Office of the Director of Corporate Enforcement, the Data Protection Commissioner, the Health and Safety Authority, the European Commission, the Planning and Environmental Authorities and the Revenue, to name but a few.
Our related Digital Services Group uses the most up to date technology for the management of large-scale document review resulting in significant efficiencies in cost and time. We advise clients on cyber security and data protection obligations in the context of investigations and we are leaders in this field.
Our practice leads the Irish market in providing tailored, strategic advice to companies, regulators, public bodies and executives on all aspects of white collar, business and financial crime, including:
- Prevention and detection.
- Crisis and risk management.
- Reporting obligations including advising clients on their reporting obligations under S.19 of the Criminal Justice Act 2011 and the implications of same.
- Internal and external investigations.
- Managing information requests, search warrants, mutual legal assistance requests and dawn raids.
- Defence of prosecution and regulatory action.
- Enforcement of legal rights, including detection of fraud, recovery of assets and tracing.
- Brendan Colgan
- Sharon Daly
- Nicola Dunleavy
- Helen Kelly
- April McClements
- Kate McKenna
- Julie Murphy-O’Connor
- Tony O’Grady
- Karen Reynolds
- Advising a U.S. company and one of the world's leading manufacturers of wire and cable, tools, components and assembled solutions, in connection with securing interim and interlocutory orders against various parties following a ransomware cyber-attack.
- Representing one of the largest international banks in defending multi-million dollar claims made in multiple fund and related investor Commercial Court proceedings arising out of the fraud of Bernard L Madoff Investment Securities.
- Representing a major domestic bank in relation to the recovery of multi-million dollar losses arising from a major fraud in a US subsidiary.
- Advising a major insurance broker in connection with a dawn raid by the European Commission in connection with alleged anti-competitive practices.
- Advising various insurers in connections with EU and CCPC investigation of alleged motor insurer cartel.
- Advising in relation to alleged corruption in connection with procurement and award of significant construction contract. Advising waste management company in connection with Health and Safety Authority inspection following serious accident on site.
- Advising Irish corporate in connection with inspection by Health and Safety authorities following fatality on site.
- Advising an international outsourcing service provider in relation to potential corrupt activity, and reporting obligations.
- Assisting international clients in stress-testing and revising ABC policies to take account of local laws.
- Acting for an insurer providing advice on significant and material regulatory issues arising in its capital requirement and helping the client manage reputation management and a remediation project.
- Advising global custodians of regulated and non-regulated funds in connection with their obligations relating to their custody of securities and other assets under Irish law.
- Advising a large Irish corporate in connection with litigation arising out of an investigation by the Office of the Director of Corporate Enforcement and subsequent appointment of High Court Inspectors.
- Advising a large multinational in connection with a Revenue investigation and proceedings before the European Court of Justice.
- Representing a major European utility company in respect of two successful court challenges to government procurement procedures.
- Advising on the only amicus curiae application by the Irish competition regulator before the High Court.