Rory is a partner in the firm's Corporate M&A Group and is based in the firm's London office. He also works closely with the Asset Management, Finance and Capital Markets, Financial Regulation and Tax practices to coordinate services provided to our private capital clients.
Rory was previously a senior partner in Kirkland & Ellis in London until January 2022. During his fifteen years as a partner at Kirkland, Rory was responsible for managing key client relationships.
Throughout his career, he has focused in particular in the areas of mergers and acquisitions and private equity. Rory has advised on both public and private transactions, representing both purchasers and sellers, and also has significant experience in joint ventures and cross-border transactions.
He has extensive experience in private equity and a large network of key contacts in the London, European and US markets.
*Rory has advised:
- Apax Partners on various transactions, including:
- The acquisition of Lutech, a leading Italian IT services, software and technology company from One Equity Partners
- The acquisition of PIB Group, a leading independent specialist insurance intermediary, from Carlyle
- $3.4 billion public-to-private (together with Warburg Pincus, CPPIB and OTPP) of Inmarsat and subsequent $7.3 billion combination of Inmarsat with Viasat
- The acquisition of Genius Sports Group and on its subsequent $1.5 billion business combination with dMY Technology Group, Inc. II
- The acquisition of Healthium MedTech Private Limited, a leading India-based medical devices company
- The sale of approximately 51 million shares in cyber security company Sophos Group plc
- €1.1bn investment (together with Madison Dearborn and TA Associates) in Weather Investments, an Italian headquartered international telecoms group
- The acquisition of a majority stake in ADCO Group
- Bain Capital Private Equity on various transactions, including:
- €1.7 billion acquisition (together with its consortium partners) of ITP Aero from Rolls-Royce
- €2.1 billion public-to-private (together its consortium partners) of Ahlstrom-Munksjö Oyj
- Equity arrangements in connection with the acquisition (together with NB Renaissance) of Engineering Group
- The acquisition of Maesa, a global beauty brand incubator
- The acquisition from the UK Government and subsequent disposal of Bio Products Laboratory to a group controlled by Creat Group Corporation
- The initial public offering (IPO) on the London Stock Exchange of its portfolio company, TI Fluid Systems plc
- The acquisition of Bugaboo International, a Dutch design company that develops and produces mobility products
- The €1.1 billion sale of Cerved to CVC
- The sale of the SigmaKalon Group, a worldwide paint and coatings producer, to PPG.
- Together with Cinven, the CHF 4.2 billion acquisition of Lonza’s Specialty Ingredients business (now Arxada)
- Oakley Capital on:
- The acquisition of ICP Education (now Bright Stars)
- The sale of WebPros by Oakley Capital III to CVC
- EW Healthcare Partners:
- On the acquisition of Laboratoires Majorelle
- And other shareholders on the €750 million sale of EUSA Pharma to Recordati
- Bain Capital Credit on the US$1.3 billion acquisition of JP Morgan's Global Special Opportunities Group
- Mid Europa Partners on its sale of SBB/Telemach Group (renamed United Group), a leading media and communication services provider across Southeast Europe, to KKR
- BC Partners on:
- The acquisition of a co-control stake in Advanced alongside Vista, in a transaction valued at £2 billion
- The disposal of Cartrawler to Towerbrook Capital
- Strategic Value Partners on the acquisition of Vita Group from TPG and other shareholders
- Vitruvian Partners on its investment in CFC Underwriting, the UK’s largest independent managing general agent
- Acting for the senior lender committee on the sale of Jack Wolfskin
- Acting for the first lien coordinating committee of Eircom, the Irish telecoms company, on corporate elements of its restructuring
*Deals led by Rory before joining Matheson
Rory has been recommended for his private equity work in Chambers UK, IFLR1000, The Legal 500 UK and Legal Media Group Expert Guides.
A private equity client is quoted in IFLR as saying, "Rory Mullarkey is an outstanding business lawyer and excellent at managing our relationship. Excellent grasp of technical and commercial issues and has a strong understanding of our business".
Chambers UK ranked Rory as a leading lawyer and noted that "his practice demonstrates a global footprint."
College of Law, Chester, England (Legal Practice Course, 1996)
Admitted as a solicitor, England and Wales, 1999
Manchester University and Université de Bourgogne, LLB English Law & French Law, First class
Admitted as a solicitor, Law Society of Ireland, 2023