(l-r) Stuart Kennedy, Partner, Matheson; Professor Raymond Friel, Head of the School of Law at the University of Limerick; and Nicola White, Director of Learning and Development, Matheson.
Matheson is delighted to announce the launch of the Matheson Scholarship in Law Plus in association with the University of Limerick (UL) as part of their 50ForFifty initiative; a celebration of UL's first fifty years which sees the UL Foundation seeking to secure an additional fifty scholarships for UL students.
The scholarship, which will be awarded annually, is open to first year undergraduate Bachelor of Laws (Law Plus) students in UL and the recipient will receive:
- a bursary of €5,000 for the academic year; and
- a position on the Matheson Career First Programme, a dedicated programme for undergraduate students.
Commenting on the announcement, Michael Jackson, Matheson’s Managing Partner said:
“We are pleased to launch the Matheson Scholarship in Law Plus in partnership with the UL Foundation. At Matheson, we strive to enable the progress of our people and our clients through innovation and collaboration. We are committed to supporting and encouraging students to be innovators and catalysts for change and to reach their full potential. We hope that this scholarship will help the recipient to achieve their goals at both an academic and professional level."
Professor Raymond Friel, Head of the School of Law, UL, commented:
“The School of Law at the University of Limerick is proud to continue and enhance our long relationship with Matheson, one of Ireland’s leading international law firms. Both the School and Matheson share a common ethos in the legal world and we are delighted to have them generously sponsor this scholarship as part of the UL 50forFifty scheme, which will assist the successful candidate to access and pursue a legal education. With this scholarship from Matheson, the School of Law at UL will continue to pioneer innovative programmes and courses together with an inclusive and accessible environment for our students."
How To Apply
To apply for the scholarship, please email a copy of your CV and a short summary (maximum 1,000 words) as to why you believe you should be the recipient of the Matheson Scholarship in Law Plus. Please send your entries to: email@example.com by Friday, 4 November 2022.
- Matheson LLP ("Matheson") is an Irish law firm. Its primary focus is on serving the Irish legal needs of internationally focused companies and financial institutions doing business in and from Ireland.
- Matheson’s clients include the majority of the Fortune 100 companies and it advises 7 of the top 10 global technology brands, 7 of the world’s 10 largest asset managers, and over half of the world’s 50 largest banks.
- Matheson is headquartered in Dublin and also has offices in Cork, London, New York, San Francisco and Palo Alto. Matheson employs 775 people across its six offices, including 105 partners and tax principals, and 530 legal, tax and digital services professionals.
- For the second year in a row, in February 2022 Matheson was named Ireland’s largest law firm by the Law Society of Ireland, following the annual publication of practicing solicitor numbers in Ireland.
- Matheson was named Ireland Law Firm of the Year at the Chambers Europe Awards 2021.
- Matheson was named Ireland Firm of the Year and Career Development: National Firm of the Year at the 2022 European Women in Business Law Awards.
- In 2021, Matheson underlined its commitment to supporting diversity and inclusion by becoming a signatory to the Law Society of Ireland’s Gender Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (GEDI) Charter. Signatories to the GEDI Charter commit to treating all individuals and groups of individuals fairly and equally.
- Matheson was named Diversity and Inclusion Law Firm of the Year at the Irish Law Awards 2021. Matheson's female / male partner gender ratio has been ranked the third most gender-diverse in continental Europe by The Lawyer in its European 100 report for 2022, an in-depth report which reviews the continental European legal market, focusing on the 100 largest independent European law firms. Matheson is also the highest ranked Irish law firm for gender diversity among its partners in The Lawyer's 2022 European 100 report.
- In 2020, Matheson became the first organisation in Ireland to receive the Investors in Diversity Gold Standard Award from the Irish Centre for Diversity in recognition of the firm’s development and implementation of a series of people-focussed D&I initiatives. In March 2022, Matheson succeeded in retaining the Gold Standard. No other law firm in Ireland has been awarded it, and no other organisation in Ireland, of any type, has retained it.
- In 2021 Matheson became one of the first Irish law firms to establish a dedicated cross-sectoral and partner-led Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Advisory Group which assists companies in navigating and responding to the rapidly evolving ESG landscape. Matheson clients have access to an online ESG resource hub of knowledge and insights.
- In 2020, Matheson became the first Irish-headquartered law firm to sign up to the Mindful Business Charter, a collaboration between financial services businesses and law firms in Ireland and the UK promoting healthy and effective ways of working. In 2021, Matheson became a signatory to the Law Society of Ireland’s Professional Wellbeing Charter, which champions behaviours, skills and practices to promote and enable professional wellbeing in the workplace.
For media queries and further information:
Heather Yates, Matheson LLP, e: firstname.lastname@example.org; m: 086 441 1230.
David Kinch, MKC Communications, e: email@example.com; m: 086 2322439.