Trinity College Dublin (LLB)
Anne-Marie Bohan "provides excellent advice on data protection and IT related matters"
ILO Client Choice Awards
Anne-Marie Bohan has over 20 years' experience in technology related legal matters, and is Head of Matheson's Technology and Innovation Group and a member of our Asset Management and Investment Funds Group. Anne-Marie brings together significant practical experience in advising on technology and privacy legal issues with industry knowledge and an understanding of applicable regulatory rules and regulatory requirements. She advises on all aspects of technology and e-commerce law, as well as outsourcings and contracted services, with particular focus on the requirements of financial institutions and financial services providers in these areas.
Anne-Marie has extensive experience in drafting and negotiating contracts for the development, sale, purchase and licensing of hardware, software and IT systems for both suppliers and users of IT within the financial services industry and across a broad range of other industries. She has also acted in some of the largest value and most complex IT and telecommunications systems and services outsourcing contracts, including advising on a number of the largest and highest value financial services outsourcings in Ireland.
Anne-Marie's practice includes advising a broad range of clients on data protection, privacy issues and cybersecurity issues, including employee data protection issues, data subject access requests and security breach incidents.
Anne-Marie has lectured on IT, data protection and financial services in the Law Society of Ireland, the National University of Ireland Maynooth, and more broadly. She is author of the Ireland chapter in Outsourcing Contracts – a Practical Guide (Lewis, Fourth Ed, 2012) and is co-author of the Irish chapters in PLC’s Outsourcing Guide, Getting the Deal Through’s Data Protection Guide, the International Comparative Legal Guide on Data Protection, and most recently, Getting the Deal Through’s new FinTech Guide. Anne-Marie is also a member of Irish Funds FinTech working group.
Anne-Marie has advised:
- in relation to IT and BPO outsourcings for financial services and corporate clients, both intra-group and on a third party basis
- on the outsourcing regulatory requirements and contractual issues for fund administration and depositary companies
- on the Investor Money Regulations
- a major multinational IT services company on the outsourcing of it by one of Ireland's largest financial institutions of its IT infrastructure services
- on a significant smart money card product, including in relation to the underlying technology contracts
- a major credit institution the establishment, structuring of and contracts for electronic wallet and electronic money products and the application of the E-Money Directive and E-Money Regulations, including anti-money laundering, passporting, distance selling, unfair contract terms and data protection issues
- on the provision of on-line financial services and systems, covering systems that are customer-facing as well as those facilitating interaction with intermediaries, including issues arising under electronic commerce and distance selling regulations
- on the procurement and implementation of IT systems and services for financial services, corporate and public sector clients
- in relation to the establishment of the internet/e-commerce platform, legal framework, security environment and internet banking terms and conditions for one of Ireland's leading financial institutions, including all data protection issues arising in connection with the move to an online environment
- on GDPR implementation and compliance projects, addressing all aspects of GDPR, including consent issues, marketing, data protection officers, privacy impact assessments, international data transfers and lead supervisory authority queries
- in relation to data protection policies related to collection and processing of customer data, including drafting of data protection notices and scripts and policies on intra-group sharing of information, and on direct marketing issues
- on centralised databases of employee and customer personal data, including advices in respect of transfer outside the EEA
- in relation to employee privacy and data protection issues, including drafting and advising on electronic communication usage and monitoring policies, monitoring and surveillance of employees, and use of information as evidence in disciplinary hearings
- on data subject access requests, including in the context of contentious situations
Anne-Marie Bohan is named a leading individual.
European Legal 500 2019
Anne-Marie Bohan is “a shrewd, reliable and capable lawyer".
TMT: Chambers Europe 2019
Anne-Marie’s "skillset is unique in the market".
Chambers Europe 2019
Recognised for Information Technology Law
Best Lawyers Ireland 2019 edition
Anne-Marie Bohan is "pragmatic, solution-oriented and always delivers clear guidance."
Chambers Europe 2018
Winner (Ireland) IT and Internet Law
International Law Office (ILO) Client Choice Award 2017
Anne-Marie Bohan is "very approachable, sensible and has a nice way about her" and “provides a commercial view" when dealing with technology-related matters
2017 Chambers Europe
Information Technology expert
2016 Women in Business Law
Information Technology expert
2015 Women in Business Law
Information Technology expert
Who’s Who Legal 100 2014
Technology, Media and Telecommunications expert
2014 Women in Business Law
Anne-Marie Bohan is ‘strong in the area of outsource contracts’.
Information Technology: European Legal 500 2014
Anne-Marie Bohan is “very pragmatic, she's very responsive, gives good sensible advice”.
Investment Funds: IFLR1000 2014
Anne-Marie Bohan is described as a “clever and commercial person who sees all sorts of angles in matters.” She handles a range of technology issues, with noteworthy experience in the financial services industry.
TMT: Chambers Europe 2013