The focus on financial services technology (FinTech) in Ireland, and its recognition as a global FinTech hub, is not surprising given Ireland’s success in both the financial services and technology sectors, with a large number of financial services and technology companies operating in the country. This position as an established FinTech hub, together with Ireland’s unique FDI proposition of market access, competitive tax infrastructure, regulatory framework with legal and fiscal certainty, combined with the ability to passport financial services from Ireland throughout the EU, and access to a broad talent base, makes for a unique choice for any financial services or FinTech company looking to establish or expand operations in Ireland or Europe.
Our FinTech practice and the experience of our FinTech Group are reflective of the innovations, sectoral convergences and collaborations in the FinTech industry in Ireland. Our FinTech Group comprises lawyers with extensive financial services and technology sector experience, transactional and advisory experience and regulatory knowledge. These lawyers work together across their areas of specialism to deliver the services required on every FinTech project, whether advising on corporate transactions, peer-to-peer lending, e-money and payments services, e-commerce in financial services, cyber security and data protection, data hosting, managed services and outsourcing, technology development and procurement, or systems integration projects.
- Joe Beashel
- Anne-Marie Bohan
- Chris Bollard
- Emma Doherty
- Tara Doyle
- Pat English
- Liam Flynn
- Michael Jackson
- Alan Keating
- Robert O’Shea
- Karen Reynolds
- Gerry Thornton
- Kieran Trant
- On investments into FinTech start-ups.
- On peer-to-peer lending structures.
- In relation to authorisation of payment institutions by the Central Bank of Ireland under the Payment Services Directive (PSD).
- Major multinationals, niche payment processors and online retailers on the extent of the application of the payments rules under the PSD.
- Financial institutions on the provision of payment services and e-money services in and from Ireland.
- International companies on obtaining e-money licences to offer online payments and related payment services across Europe and globally.
- On the structuring of electronic wallet and electronic money products and the application of the E-Money Directive.
- Retail banks, card payment acquirers and payment service providers in relation to acquiring services.
- On IT and BPO outsourcings, both intra-group and on a third party basis, including cross-border and multi-jurisdictional outsourcings, and including a number of the largest financial services IT and BPO outsourcings in Ireland to date.
- on the establishment of the internet / e-commerce platform, legal framework, security environment and internet banking terms and conditions for one of Ireland’s leading financial institutions, including all data protection issues arising in connection with the move to an online environment
- on the provision of online financial services and systems, covering systems that are customer-facing as well as those facilitating interaction with intermediaries, including issues arising under electronic commerce and distance selling regulations
- on the procurement and implementation of IT systems and services for financial services clients.
The team at Matheson works at the forefront of IT developments in the market.
European Legal 500 2016
"The team is very prevalent in the Irish market and very helpful in getting deals done."
Chambers Europe 2015
"Excellent depth of knowledge and a commercial approach."
Chambers Europe 2015
Matheson provides "excellent advice in a timely and professional manner".
European Legal 500 2015
"We receive timely, commercial advice from partners, always tailored to understanding the client company's needs and industry trends."
"They are a very experienced team and offer excellent insights into industry practice and standards."
This team has considerable expertise in all areas and earns glowing client reviews for its business focus and outstanding negotiation skills.
Chambers Europe 2013