April McClements is a Partner in the Insurance and Dispute Resolution team. April is a commercial litigator and specialises in insurance disputes.
April advises insurance companies on policy wording interpretation, complex coverage disputes (in particular relating to financial lines policies), D&O claims, professional indemnity claims, including any potential third party liability, and subrogation claims. April manages a significant number of professional indemnity claims for professionals, including insurance brokers, architects and engineers, for a variety of insurers.
April has been involved in obtaining High Court approval for various insurance portfolio transfers and/or schemes of arrangement arising from reorganisations and/or mergers and acquisitions involving life, non-life and captive insurers. April also works in the area of general commercial litigation with a particular focus on contractual disputes, most of which are litigated in the Commercial Court. She is also a strong advocate of ADR and has acted for clients in mediations and arbitration.
April is a member of the Law Society of Ireland, the Insurance Institute of Ireland and the British Insurance Law Association. She has contributed to various industry publications and has participated in seminars as a speaker on insurance issues.
- Advising Aviva in relation to a significant subrogation claim against the ESB which is being litigated in the Commercial Court arising from flooding in Cork City in November 2009.
- Advised Aviva on the Commercial Court application for approval of the restructuring of the non-life insurance business of Aviva Ireland. This was one of the largest restructurings of an Irish insurance business in recent years and involved more than one million policyholders.
- Defended an insurance broker in a significant professional indemnity action by Bloxham Stockbrokers alleging under- insurance.
- Advising an insurer in respect of cover under a Financial Institutions policy for multiple misselling claims.
- Acting for Kenmare Resources in the Supreme Court appeal of a €10 million libel award.
- Advised an insurer in relation to coverage of various D&O claims.
- Advised an insurer in relation to coverage of a fidelity claim notified by an Irish head-quartered company under its Commercial Crime Insurance Policy in respect of losses suffered by its US subsidiary as a result of alleged theft and fraud by other parties including former employees.
- Successfully represented excess layer insurers, Chubb and WR Berkley, in declaratory coverage proceedings in the Commercial Court in respect of the Michael Lynn professional indemnity cover.
Sources say April’s "level of knowledge is incredible and she works very hard for her clients."
Chambers Europe 2020
“April McClements very quickly becomes a technical expert in areas under litigation. She is a highly efficient lawyer.”
European Legal 500 2020
University College Dublin and Osgoode Hall Law School, Toronto (BCL, International)
Law Society of Ireland, Diploma in Commercial Litigation
Qualified as a solicitor in Ireland
Qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales (non-practising)