Caroline is a partner in the Corporate M&A Department within the Financial Institutions Group at Matheson. Caroline has extensive experience advising on a broad range of international and domestic corporate transactions including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, private equity, equity capital markets and corporate reorganisations, with a particular focus on Financial Institutions and Insurance. Her clients include many of the world’s leading financial institutions and insurance market players. Prior to re-joining Matheson as a partner in 2021, Caroline spent over 10 years working with two leading global law firms, primarily based in London, where she advised on a number of complex, high value, multi-jurisdictional deals.
Caroline regularly acts for many of Europe’s leading Warranty and Indemnity underwriters, advising on the underwriting of high value international M&A transactions, as well as domestic Irish transactions, across all sectors.
Caroline also counsels corporate clients on a broad range of governance and business-related matters, including directors' duties and responsibilities and general compliance matters
- Advising US insurance conglomerate on its agreed acquisition of a State owned market leading Greek insurer (with operations in Greece, Cyprus, Romania and Bulgaria), with an enterprise value of over €950m.
- Advising "unicorn status" tech company on various funding rounds including its Series F funding round which raised approximately US$490m at a valuation of over US$2 billion.
- Advising a New York and London based private equity firm on the sale of its majority interest in London-based global reinsurance brokerage group.
- Advising leading UK mortgage broking network on its IPO on London’s AIM market.
- Advising NYSE-listed multinational property and casualty insurance carrier on its acquisition of an international insurance group.
- Advising various leading insurers on W&I underwriting matters.
- Advising on a number of non-transactional corporate matters including project managing a global corporate restructure which involved coordinating advice across more than 20 jurisdictions.
- Advising global banking institution in relation to the disposal of its UK co-branded store credit card business (involving approximately 3.5 million customer accounts and £1 billion in receivables).
- Advising global banking institution in relation to the disposal of certain portfolios of non-performing loans.
- Advising leading investment bank on its role as placing agent for various secondary placings on the LSE.
- Advising UK-based life insurance company on various corporate and regulatory insurance matters.
- Advising Canadian multinational banking and financial services corporation, on the buy-out of a stockbroking and investment services business from its JV partner), a large UK bank.
- Advising Irish stockbroker on the disposal of its London-based fixed income trading business.
- Advising NYSE-listed financial services business, on the European aspects of its disposal of part of its asset financing arm to a large tech multinational.
Solicitor, Law Society of Ireland
Solicitor, Law Society of England and Wales
Law Society of Ireland, Diploma in Applied Finance Law
University College Dublin (First Class Honours), Bachelor of Business and Law (BBLS)