Pictured L-R: Gráinne Callanan, Taoiseach Micheál Martin TD, Michael Jackson and Tara Doyle
New Penrose Dock facility opened by Taoiseach Micheál Martin
Modern office space facilitates the firm’s hybrid working model while providing opportunities for future growth
Matheson, Ireland’s largest law firm, has officially opened a new premises in Cork with Taoiseach Micheál Martin TD at an event in the state-of-the-art premises at Penrose Dock in the heart of Cork city centre.
Located in Penrose One, the new riverside office reflects Matheson’s continued growth in the Munster region. The architect-designed space incorporates a mixture of shared offices, shared desk zones, staff canteen, client lounge and client meeting spaces. The state-of-the-art offices will facilitate Matheson’s growing Cork-based team of 35 people, led by partner Gráinne Callanan. The new office space enables the team to combine working from home and from the office, as part of Matheson’s hybrid model of working.
Commenting on Matheson’s new Cork office, Taoiseach Micheál Martin TD said: “I would like to congratulate Matheson on the opening of their new office in Cork city. As the city and broader region emerges from the pandemic and continues to grow, it is important that businesses, both indigenous and international, have access to the expertise they need to drive success. As a modern space located at the heart of the city, it is representative of the ambition of Cork and Munster region on the national and international stage, as a place to live and work.”
Michael Jackson, Managing Partner of Matheson said: “The opening of our new Cork office, which was designed to facilitate and support hybrid and flexible working, marks a significant development for Matheson. The growth we have experienced since we first established an office in Cork in 2018, reflects the continued importance of Cork and the wider Munster region is a destination of choice for the world’s leading multinationals in sectors such as life sciences, med-tech, financial services, ITC, and cyber-security, as well as for many domestic Irish companies. The region is also home to some of the best legal talent in Ireland. We believe that our success in growing our Cork-based team is a positive reflection on both our commitment to our people strategy and on the quality of clients and transactions supported from our Cork office. We continue to plan for further expansion in Cork and look forward to continuing to grow our relationships with international and indigenous companies in the region.”
About Matheson in Cork
- Matheson was the first large Irish law firm to open a second Irish office outside of Dublin when it first opened a premises in Cork in 2018.
- In 2019, Matheson underlined its dedication to the area by adding new resources and by announcing a significant investment in new, larger office space at Penrose Dock. Today’s newly opened offices are the result of that investment.
- Since then, Matheson in Cork has continued to grow, and the opening of these new offices in Penrose Dock is the result of the success of the firm’s business and people strategies.
- That success is evident in the fact that, since moving its 35 person team into the Penrose One building in late 2021, Matheson has already agreed to extend the size of its current footprint from 8,000 sq ft to over 12,000 sq ft, encompassing the entire fifth floor of the building.
- A key benefit of the Penrose Dock design was the ease with which Matheson was able to revise the floor plans to suit its hybrid working model.
- Designed by Wilson Architecture and developed by JCD Group (John Cleary Development - Penrose Dock), the campus houses 1,600 people across three buildings, with 500 more to come in the coming years.
- Matheson’s announcement comes as the Penrose Dock facility reaches full capacity, with 250,000 sq ft of office space now fully let.
- Penrose Dock was named Building of the Year 2021 and Building of the Year, Large Office 2021
- The building is one of Cork’s most environmentally sound, and was designed to the highest, Gold LEED® Certification Accreditation, now recognised across the world as the benchmark of green building standards
- Designed to meet the principles of the Well Building Standard
A key factor in choosing Penrose Dock is the location, with its proximity to the train station and bus station, it facilities (bike bays, electric car chargers, showers etc, as well as the views of the river Lee and of Cork city.
To read more on our Cork office please click here.