Pictured (L-R) : Karen Sheil, Partner; Michael Jackson, Managing Partner and Niall Collins, Partner.
Matheson's growth story continues with appointment of two new partners
Matheson, Ireland’s largest law firm, is delighted to announce that it has appointed two new partners. Niall Collins joins the firm as partner and head of Matheson's EU, Competition & Regulatory Law Group, while Karen Sheil has joined Matheson as a partner in the Commercial Real Estate Department.
Michael Jackson, Managing Partner of Matheson said; “I am delighted to welcome Karen and Niall to Matheson. Their transactional experience, their knowledge of the Irish and international markets and their client focus will further enhance the strength in depth of our market-leading Commercial Real Estate and EU, Competition and Regulatory Law teams."
"Matheson is the law firm of choice for internationally focussed companies and financial institutions conducting business in and from Ireland. Our growth is reflective of our ongoing investment in talent and the emphasis we continue to place on client service and delivery. We believe that the expansion of our offices in London and New York, the recent opening of our new offices in Cork and the appointment of Karen and Niall in our Dublin headquarters will each contribute to our ability to continue to provide clients with the high levels of service and support required to help them achieve their business objectives."
About our new partners
Niall Collins (Head of EU, Competition & Regulatory)
- With extensive experience advising Irish and multinational businesses on Irish and EU competition law, particularly on complex merger control mandates, Niall has a reputation for delivering outcomes for clients in difficult cases. This experience extends to public and private deals, private equity and venture capital investments and to joint ventures and strategic alliances.
- His behavioural competition law practice covers abuse of dominance, cartels and other restrictive arrangements, regulatory investigations, compliance issues and consequential litigation following on from allegations of breach of competition rules.
- Niall's practice has a focus on the energy, media & entertainment, insurance, agriculture & food, technology, sport and financial services sectors. Prior to joining Matheson, Niall led the competition team at another Irish law firm and also previously practiced with two top tier international competition practices in London.
- Consistently ranked in the top tier of competition law advisers in Ireland by both Chambers & Partners and Legal 500, Niall was identified by Global Competition Review as one of the world's top competition lawyers in their '40 under 40' feature. He was also recently identified by Who's Who Legal as one of three 'Thought Leaders' for competition law in Ireland. Niall is a committee member of the competition section of the Law Society of England and Wales.
Karen Sheil (Commercial Real Estate)
- Karen specialises in all types of property development and investment transactions (both loan and asset based) including syndicate investments using corporate, funds and other structures. She has extensive experience in the site assembly, financing, structuring, letting and disposal of retail developments and mixed schemes on behalf of landlords and developers including offices, multi-family, private rented sector 'PRS' development and the build-to-rent 'BTR' sector. She is very experienced in dealing with data centre development projects and portfolios and advises tenants taking space in all types of commercial property.
- She has worked on some of the largest property transactions in the country including Project Jewel – Ireland’s largest real estate transaction – where she acted for the purchaser of a portfolio of prime retail assets including Dundrum Town Centre.
- Prior to joining Matheson, Karen was a partner at another Irish law firm for over a decade. She is a frequent speaker and writer on commercial property and tax related issues. She lectures in BTR schemes at the Law Society of Ireland. She is consistently ranked as a leading lawyer by legal directories and is described as being 'highly rated' with a 'superb' level of knowledge.