David is "thorough, very knowledgeable and very practical".
David is a partner in the firm’s Corporate Department specialising in corporate and securities laws and mergers and acquisitions, advising on public and private transactions as well as equity capital markets transactions. He has extensive experience advising international clients on doing business in and from Ireland including advising on acquisitions, compliance and governance rules, corporate migrations, cross-border mergers, joint ventures and reorganisations.
He has a broad-based practice reflecting his considerable experience across the agri-food, financial services, healthcare / life sciences and manufacturing sectors.
Prior to joining Matheson, David was a partner at another Irish law firm for over a decade. He has advised on many of Ireland’s headline transactions and regularly acts for well-known Irish and international companies on domestic and cross-border transactions.
- Advising Smurfit Kappa Group on its €660 million Share Placing
- Advising Willis Towers Watson plc on its pending $80 billion business combination with Aon plc, to be effected by means of an Irish law scheme of arrangement
- Advising placing agents on a €134 million placing of ordinary shares by a listed REIT
- Providing ongoing strategic and compliance advice on matters of Irish company law and securities regulation to listed companies (Euronext Dublin/LSE, NASDAQ and NYSE)
- Advising the State on all aspects of the capital reorganisation and IPO of one of Ireland’s leading banks.
- Advising an Irish FTSE 100 company on its successful defence of two unsolicited takeover proposals under the Irish Takeover Rules
- Advising listed companies (Euronext Dublin/LSE, NASDAQ and NYSE) on takeovers by way of scheme of arrangement or general offer under the Irish Takeover Rules
- Advising an Irish dairy co-operative on the formation of a joint venture with an Irish listed global nutrition group
- Advising a leading interactive entertainment company on its re-domicilation into Ireland, its US$7.2 billion listing on NYSE and subsequently its takeover by way of scheme of arrangement
- Advising numerous issuers on issuances of debt (including secured and convertible debt) on capital markets.
David Fitzgibbon is named a Highly Regarded Individual
IFLR 1000 2020
David Fitzgibbon is recommended.
European Legal 500 2020
"David explains things in a way that is easy to understand".
Corporate: Chambers Global 2020
David is praised for being "thorough, very knowledgeable and very practical".
Chamber Global 2019
"In-depth expertise and comprehensible explanation. He is commercial and practical in his application of the law."
IFLR 1000 2019
Market commentators praise David and note that he "understands the internal processes of the client and adds value over and above legal advice".
Chambers Global 2018
David is "very good in front of a board of directors".
Legal 500 EMEA 2018
David is listed in Best Lawyers 2019 under 'The Best Lawyers in Ireland' for work in Capital Markets Law, Corporate Governance & Compliance Practice and Corporate Law.
Trinity College Dublin (LLB with German)
Law Society of Ireland, admitted as a solicitor