Eunan is partner in the Asset Management Department at Matheson. He practices financial services law and advises many of the world's leading financial institutions, investment banks and asset management companies carrying on business through Irish domiciled investment funds and Irish domiciled management companies.
Eunan advises a range of domestic and international clients on the establishment, authorisation, operation and ongoing regulatory compliance of all types of investment funds in Ireland, including UCITS, AIFMD structures and hedge funds. Eunan also advises fund service providers on their regulatory and compliance matters. Eunan also has extensive experience of advising on the establishment and authorisation of UCITS management companies and alternative investment fund managers in Ireland.
Eunan’s experience includes advising on the implementation of regulatory updates to fund structures following the introduction of various European financial services directives, cross border mergers and the ongoing servicing of Irish fund structures.
Eunan has completed a secondment with one of the world’s largest asset managers in London.
Eunan's experience includes:
- advising on corporate transactions involving the purchase of fund management companies;
- advised several international managers on the establishment of their management companies in Ireland, including advising in relation to the establishment of "Super ManCo" entities;
- advised both UCITS management companies and AIFMs on their passporting applications to be appointed as the management company to other EU domiciled investment funds;
- Advised on the cross-border aspects of Irish domiciled investment and other EEA domiciled funds marketing and entering both European and non-European markets.
- advising on the establishment and operation of major ETF platforms;
- advising on the establishment of AIFMD-compliant qualifying investor alternative investment fund, including property funds and loan origination funds;
- advising on the establishment of UCITS products; and
- ongoing advisory and compliance work with some of the world’s largest asset managers.
“They serve their clients, they don’t try to show you how much they know or scare you into thinking you have a huge task ahead of you. They get on with it and make your life easier. Donal O’Byrne and Eunan Hession epitomise this.”
The Legal 500 2022
“Donal O'Byrne and Eunan Hession are both top class. I think Eunan will be partner soon. He is just no-nonsense. You ask him to do something, and he does it well. It increasingly gets harder to find people who do what they say they would. He gives you tremendous comfort. He will do your job well.”
“Associate Eunan Hession is incredibly diligent and responsive.”
Legal 500, 2020
Named as a "Key Lawyer"
Legal 500 2022
University College Dublin, BCL
London School of Economics and Political Science, LLM