Kevin is a partner in the Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution Department at Matheson, with a particular focus on Corporate Restructuring and Insolvency Law. Kevin has significant experience in advising insolvency practitioners in the discharge of their duties as examiners, liquidators and receivers of companies and representing financial institutions, creditor groups, and companies in connection with commercial litigation, banking disputes, security and enforcement issues and other contentious and non-contentious domestic and cross-border restructuring and insolvency matters.
Kevin is a member of Restructuring & Insolvency Ireland and sits on its Law Reform sub-committee and is also a member of INSOL Europe. Kevin lectures and tutors on insolvency law matters on the professional practice course of the Incorporated Law Society of Ireland and to professional directors for the Institute of Directors Chartered Director Programme and is a regular contributor to industry publications. He is a representative for restructuring and insolvency law in the Irish Government’s Ireland for Law initiative.
- Advising in examinerships, both from an examiner’s and creditor’s perspective, examples of which include Ladbrokes plc, Aer Arann, Celtic Linen, Coast / Warehouse / Karen Millen, Golden Pages, Compu B, Cara Pharmacy and the Edward Capital Group (which assets included the G Hotel in Galway).
- Advising on complex cross-border restructurings including Weatherford International plc (the largest corporate restructuring in Ireland), Norwegian Air (and securing Chapter 15 recognition), and an ad hoc creditor group in connection with an Irish scheme of arrangement and subsequent Chapter 11 of the Nordic Aviation Group, the world’s largest regional aircraft lessor.
- Advising in liquidations, both from a liquidator’s and creditor’s perspective, examples of which include Stobart Air, Eurofood IFSC (the Irish subsidiary of the Parmalat Group), Arcadia retail group (Topshop, Topman & Miss Selfridge), Pocket Kings and the Airplanes Group.
- Advising on security enforcement and receiverships, examples of which include the McConnells Advertising group of companies, Pierse Construction group, Tribune Newspapers PLC (which operated the former Sunday Tribune newspaper), Superquinn supermarket chain, the Athlone Town Centre, Sigma Telecom Limited and high-profile hotel and hospital receiverships.
- Advising financial institutions in relation to the enforcement of security, recovery of debt and enforcement options (including bankruptcy) with extensive experience in advising in connection with High Court, commercial court and appeal court proceedings and multi-jurisdictional asset tracing.
- Advising financial institutions in relation to restructuring options and consensual work outs for trading corporate borrowers, including debt for equity swaps and other consensual debt restructurings using formal insolvency processes and advising vendors and purchasers of large mortgage and asset portfolios.
- Advising on corporate governance and compliance issues, fiduciary duties, and on matters relating to the Director of Corporate Enforcement and proceedings against directors (including restriction, disqualification, fraudulent and reckless trading proceedings).
"Excellent solicitor - responsive and knowledgeable. Good to work with. C
"Measured, prudent, commercial"
"A very experienced insolvency solicitor. Very approachable, responsive and committed to the task at hand. Great technical knowledge."
Kevin Gahan “builds a very strong rapport with our team here and is always available to assist with queries and provide advice on tricky situations.”
The Legal 500 2022
Kevin Gahan is "hard-working and reliable, with no issues working on a complex job."
Chambers Europe 2022
Kevin Gahan is “very collaborative” and “is widely perceived as an impressive associate to watch in the field of insolvency”
Chambers and Partners
IFLR 1000 2021 and 2020
Kevin Gahan “is a proactive and diligent solicitor”
European Legal 500 2021
Trinity College Dublin, LLB (Ling. Franc.) (Sch)
University of Poitiers, France (Erasmus)
Trinity College Dublin, LLM
Law Society of Ireland
Judge Business School, University of Cambridge, Senior Associate Programme