Niamh Mulholland is a partner in the Financial Institutions Group. Prior to joining Matheson, Niamh worked for a global consultancy business where she led the Irish Asset Management Regulatory Practice. Her primary focus was on providing advice to Irish and International Investment Banking, Investment Firm and Investment Fund clients, through authorisation, regulatory change projects, supervisory engagements, Risk Mitigation Programmes and Skilled Person Independent Reviews. She has advised clients with ‘own initiative’ reviews and change programmes as well as responses to Central Bank of Ireland supervisory inspections.
Niamh has extensive experience advising clients on the assessment and implications of AIFMD, UCITS, AML/CTF legislation, MiFID II/MiFIR, CRD/CRR, the Client Assets and Investor Money Regulations, the Investment Intermediaries Act, the Central Bank of Ireland Supervision and Enforcement Act, the ICAV Act and more recently the ILP (Amendment) Act 2020.
Niamh previously worked at the Central Bank of Ireland, where she acted as the ESMA Board of Supervisors internal co-ordinator. She was a member of a number of ESMA Standing Committees and was involved in the negotiations to enact the EU Market Abuse Regulation and Criminal Sanctions Directive and MiFIR II/MiFIR during the Irish Presidency of the European Council.
Niamh is a regular speaker on the topics of MiFID II, IFD/IFR, AML/CTF, CP86, and AIFMD Reform and is has published a number of articles on these topics.
Niamh has advised a global suite of asset management clients on the following matters:
- advising on MiFID investment firm, fund management and fund service provider authorisations
- advising banking and finance entrants to the Irish market on CBI and FCA authorisation applications, early establishment processes and risk mitigation programmes; and
- assisting with CBI Business Expansion Applications and CBI and FCA Change of Control processes.
- regulatory advice and assistance to fund managers and fund service providers during merger and acquisition processes, focused on regulatory due diligence and post-acquisition transition programmes.
- business risk assessments, know your client and customer due diligence processes and procedures under AML/CTF legislation.
- advising clients on their response to Central Bank of Ireland Risk Mitigation Programmes, Thematic Reviews, On-Site Inspections and PRISM engagement meetings.
Honourable Society of Kings Inns
University College Dublin (BBLS)