Matheson’s team of indirect tax specialists have extensive experience in advising clients upon specific matters of indirect taxation and working in collaboration with Matheson colleagues to provide strategic transactional and structuring advice, helping clients both in Ireland and internationally manage the complexities of indirect taxation. Our experience and capabilities have been particularly important recently in assisting clients in identifying opportunities and addressing challenges arising from the changes brought about by Brexit.
We advise on a broad range of indirect tax matters, both contentious and non-contentious, related to:
Customs Duty and trade law
Relevant Contracts Tax (RCT)
We have proven experience in a wide range of industries, including technology, pharmaceuticals, financial services, commercial real estate, retail, software and aviation. Our team also boasts considerable experience in indirect tax litigation and controversy work for companies and individuals. Our breadth of experience includes extensive interaction with the Irish Revenue Commissioners from Revenue aspect queries and Revenue audits and investigations to litigating Irish tax matters before the Tax Appeals Commission, Irish Superior Courts and the European Courts.
Our experience includes advising:
- On the VAT treatment of all aspects of establishing businesses in Ireland including with regard to treasury and investment activities and cross border contract manufacturing and supply chain models.
- On the VAT treatment of IP and asset transfers arising from on-shoring of intellectual property and company reorganisations.
- On the indirect tax aspects of numerous high-value M&A deals.
- On the EU VAT analysis of various products offered by FinTech companies establishing in the EU including in respect of cryptocurrency.
- Clients in respect of VAT and RCT and the letting and fit out and development of office spaces, industrial facilities and data centres.
- Clients in respect of detailed technical and due diligence regarding large property portfolio purchases.
- Obtaining relevant licences and authorisations as regards mineral oil storage, alcohol production and tobacco products sales.
- On the indirect tax aspects of importing goods from outside of the EU to include, customs duty classification analysis, advising on customs special procedures.
- In respect of export controls legislation and licensing requirements.
- Numerous large banks and financial institutions on the VAT treatment of new product offerings and VAT recovery issues.
- On indirect tax aspects of betting and e-gaming to include remote bookmaking licensing and duty matters.
- Major funds and insurance companies on the application of VAT and considerations regarding the minimisation of VAT leakage and inefficiencies.
- In respect of Brexit-related supply chain restructurings.