Anthony Gaskin is a partner in the Asset Management Department at Matheson. He practices corporate and financial services law and advises many of the world's leading financial institutions, sponsors, investment banks, asset management companies and service providers carrying on business in Ireland or through Irish fund vehicles.
Anthony has advised a wide range of clients on the structuring, establishment and marketing of investment vehicles and products in Ireland and other jurisdictions. He advises on many types of Irish and European investment structures, including UCITS and Alternative Investment Funds (both unregulated and regulated) across multiple asset classes. Anthony also advises sponsors and fund managers in relation to co-investment structures associated with Alternative Investment Funds, as well as carried interest, employee participation and other incentive arrangements associated with such funds. Anthony also regularly advises on direct lending structures as well as on fund mergers and other types of fund restructuring projects.
Anthony also advises on the Irish interpretation and implementation of European financial services legislation, including in relation to sustainable finance initiatives, the ELTIF Regulation and AIFMD II. He regularly advises on the marketing of Irish funds in EEA member states and other jurisdictions.
Anthony is actively involved at industry level in Ireland and sits on a number of committees of Irish Funds, the industry association in Ireland, and also regularly presents at industry events, both in person and online.
“Practical and knowledgeable; highly responsive."
IFLR1000 33rd edition 2023
Anthony's experience includes advising on:
- The structuring and financing of private funds established as regulated and unregulated structures, including Waterland Private Equity on the formation of its €3.5 billion Waterland Private Equity Fund IX and the formation of its €500 million Waterland Partnership Fund I.
- The establishment of Qualifying Investor Funds, including master-feeder structures, funds of funds and property funds.
- The establishment of UCITS across all asset classes and structures, including fund platforms and multi-manager UCITS.
- Numerous fund merger and restructuring projects, including multiple cross-border mergers.
- The acquisition of fund sponsor and service-provider businesses in Ireland and other jurisdictions.