The Finance and Capital Markets Department at Matheson advises Irish and international banks and financial services companies on regulatory matters ranging from the regulatory aspects of the transfer of a banking business to data protection and dealings with the Central Bank of Ireland.
In 2004, the firm established a dedicated Regulatory Risk Management and Compliance Group (one of the first in an Irish law firm) in response to an increased demand from clients for advice and assistance on matters relating to risk management and compliance. Our Regulatory Risk Management and Compliance Group recognises the increasingly important role played by regulation and compliance in financial matters and emulates best practice in other major financial centres. We know that getting compliance matters right can be a source of strategic advantage and work with our clients to assist in these matters. We have a proven track record in a broad range of regulatory matters, both advisory and contentious. Our involvement in the development and implementation of Irish legislation ensures that we are ideally placed to provide advice on all matters concerning the Irish regulatory system. Formerly the Managing Director of a leading international Financial Services Centre Administration company, Joe Beashel is the partner heading up this practice.
- Assisting clients with the authorisation of new entities by the Central Bank of Ireland including banks, MiFID firms, fund services providers, payment institutions, retail credit firms and others as well as assisting in the expansion of the regulatory authorisations of existing entities.
- Providing practical advice and assistance to boards of directors, senior management, in-house counsel and compliance officers in relation to the impact of new regulations.
- Assisting clients in the effective and timely implementation of changes required by regulatory developments and we work to provide a robust assurance that implementation projects meet all legal and regulatory requirements.
- Providing practical and strategically minded advice and assistance when regulatory issues arise. In particular assisting clients in assessing the legal and regulatory impact of regulatory issues as they arise and helping to develop remediation plans in order to fully address such issues.
- Where the Central Bank initiates its administrative sanctions process we work with clients to minimise the impact of any sanction imposed.
- Helping clients who are dealing with complaints to the Financial Services Ombudsman to ensure the most favourable outcome possible.
- Conducting reviews of existing processes and procedures on an impartial basis, to give internal audit, legal and compliance teams, senior managers and boards of directors assurance that business lines meet legal and regulatory requirements and the Central Bank’s expectations.
- As part of the firm’s Financial Institutions Group, assisting in the regulatory change of control consent process and due diligence of merger and acquisitions of regulated institutions in the Irish market.
"Matheson is a very commercial firm with emphasis on client relationships."
"Matheson has provided us with timely, client-focused and commercial advice. The firm displays a can-do attitude and its partners are always available and easy to deal with, as well as technically superb."