Carlo is a partner in the Technology & Innovation Group at Matheson. Carlo advises a wide range of clients on all manner of technology issues, with a particular focus on technology and commercial contracts, data protection and privacy, intellectual property and consumer law. His practice reflects the ever-changing landscape of Irish and EU law and guidance, and Carlo regularly supports clients to position their businesses and products in the most effective manner possible in light of complex legal requirements. Carlo is also experienced in advising on issues relating to electronic signatures, Irish gambling legislation and export control.
Carlo has experience in drafting and negotiating a wide range of contracts including complex regulated outsourcing agreements, data sharing and processing agreements, supply agreements and standard terms of business, software-as-a-service agreements, distribution and sales agency agreements, intellectual property licence agreements and assignments, NDAs, manufacturing agreements and service level agreements.
Carlo is also experienced in managing the legal response to urgent and critical incidents including personal data breaches and contentious data subject access requests, both in terms of internal responses and managing interactions with regulators.
- A major international social media business with structuring its data flows following the publication of the 2021 Standard Contractual Clauses, and preparing associated contracts.
- A US multinational on technology-related aspects of its acquisition of an Irish fintech company, including integration of its products post-completion.
- On the requirements of Irish gaming and lotteries compliance, including exceptions available for commercial prize promotions.
- The Irish arm of a global insurance company on its IT and commercial contracts.
- A hyperscale data centre operator on a contentious IP issue relating to its Irish business.
- A major cryptocurrency exchange on its Irish and EU data protection obligations.
- On the use of electronic signatures for various kinds of Irish law agreements.
- Numerous large Ireland-based businesses on the implementation of their end-to-end GDPR compliance projects.
- A major European pharmaceutical company with commercial contracts issues relating to logistics and maintenance services.
- Innovative fintech companies and major financial institutions on regulated outsourcing contracts.
- Irish domiciled funds and service providers on their data protection obligations as well as appropriate contracts.
Ranked as a ‘Key Lawyer’ in Information Technology
Legal 500, 2021
Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
Admission as a solicitor in Ireland pending regulatory approval
Victoria University of Wellington, LLB
Victoria University of Wellington, BA (Media Studies)